Baby mine

Hey, my dear readers, the next chapter, is waiting for you. It took me a little bit longer than expected. This chapter is quite emotional. Thanks to my lovely beta reader amys99999 she did just such a good job again. As always but anyway I wish you a pleasant time while you're reading this and I'm looking forward to some feedback. Comments are always welcoming :) 

Twenty minutes later, the group sat in the living room with a steaming pot of coffee, and a huge tray of muffins was placed in the middle of the coffee table. No one drank. No one ate. And no one dared to start the necessary conversation. The tension was hardly bearable for everyone in the room.

Norah closed her eyes for a brief moment, took a deep breath, and tried her best to stay calm. She said, "Well, I guess I have a lot of questions. I know I have to go through the DNA test.

But I still can't believe I was kidnapped as a little baby! Where will I live? What's my name now? The whole situation seems to be like a horrible movie remake." She ran a hand through her hair and said, "Sorry, I can't help it. I know I am all over the place, but it all sounds so unreal to me. I don't know what to believe anymore. And if it's really true, who was it that took me from you, Logan?"

Logan cleared his throat as he tried to find the right words to explain to Norah what had happened. The rage slowly evaporated, though it still made him quite angry that Odette's dead father was to blame for Norah's kidnapping.

"I know the whole situation is upsetting to you. We all understand that. We're actually all pretty off here," Logan said. He took a breath and said, "When you were at the bakery, I got a call from Odette, my ex-fiancee, who had some information that threw us all pretty out of balance." He tried not to get as angry as before as he relayed the information. He was glad that Norah wasn't there when he had the heated discussion with Max. Logan was not proud of himself for that exchange.

"What was the call about?" Norah asked in a depressed voice and already had a premonition of what it was.

"She found important documents in her parents' attic. It was about your kidnapping," Logan explained as tried to soften the blow for Norah. After all, she already had enough worries and sorrows.

"About my kidnapping? Was she the one who... ", Norah couldn't talk for a moment. She closed her eyes and attempted to thwart the tears that had accumulated under her closed eyes.

"Oh no, Odette and I have never had any problems. We didn't work as a couple, but she wasn't vindictive. She would have been the last one to do such a bad thing. It was her father Pierre," he said as he stood up and kneeled in front of her. He took her hand in his and pressed it gently. Hesitantly she opened her eyes and looked into the worried brown eyes of her biological father.

"Pierre Lamintage?" she whispered, barely audible.

"Yes, why? Do you know him?" Logan asked with a worried expression on his face.

"He is my Mom's uncle," she said and wiped away the tears of her face with her hand.

"What I.."

"Logan, I didn't know about this. As Max said earlier, we really didn't know that Norah was a kidnapping victim. Max and I wanted a second baby so much, but unfortunately, it didn't work out.
My uncle told me that a friend of him who ran an adoption agency had a six-month-old baby girl who wasn't adopted by anyone in Paris" Katherine quickly interjected before tempers began raging again.

Faltering, she continued after a short break, "I questioned several times if it would be legal to adopt a baby from a French adoption agency. He said that he had talked to his friend and he transferred Emma, I mean Norah sorry, to the Vienna Christian adoption agency. Of course, there were still questions.

It did seem too easy. I asked him about the parents and why they didn't want her. He said that she was simply an unwanted little baby girl and that the parents were drug addicts." Katherine shook her head and said, "I have all the files from the adoption in the folder. We can go over all the legal documents I have later. We should really concentrate on Norah right now."

Logan just nodded, got up and retook his seat next to Rory. She grabbed his hand immediately and tried her best to stay calm.
As long as Logan was at her side, she could conquer the world. Even if she was emotionally drained and tired, she was glad this was all coming out finally. Rory just wished she could stop the pain everyone was in. She laid her head on Logan's shoulder, trying not to break into tears too.

"I believe you, Mom. I would never have believed you and Dad could do that. I'm glad I got to hear your side. I was pretty angry at all of you. I just couldn't understand why I was taken away from my parents without any warnings. I was kidnapped by your uncle Pierre, Mom," she lowered her head, and a flood of tears ran down her pale cheeks again.

Kate's heart almost broke and couldn't hold back her tears anymore. "I'm so sorry about everything Baby girl..." she breathed, pulled her daughter sitting next to her into her arms.

"Mommy, I'm so scared. I don't want to lose you and dad, but it's all so complicated," she sobbed as Kate held her tightly in her arms.

"Hey, hey, now. It's all going to be ok sweetie; you won't lose us. I promise. We're going to find a solution, right?" Kate thought for a moment, then said quietly, "Remember when we went to see Dumbo?" She gently stroked her hair as Norah listened. "Remember the part with the mom? Oh, you cried so hard when they locked Dumbo's Mom away. I could barely keep you calm," she said while a wistful smile laid on Katherine's lips and looked into Norah's tear-drenched face.

"Sure, it was one of the heart-wrenching scenes in the whole movie, Mom. It's a little bit silly to ask you that but maybe you could sing "Baby mine" Mom?
You always sang it for me when I couldn't sleep or when I was having a rough day. Like the day, I got my first Mathematics test back in middle school in the first grade or when I broke my wrist on the playground when I was about seven or eight. You were there, mom. You never let me down."

"Of course not. I'll always be on your side. No matter what is going to happen, ok? "she answered, kissed Norah's soft hair and started to sing "Baby Mine" from one of Norah's most favorite Disney movies.

Baby mine, don't you cry
Baby mine, dry your eyes
Rest your head close to my heart
Never to part
Baby of mine

Norah felt so safe in her adoptive mother's arms, despite of the whole situation. It was no one's fault that she was kidnapped when she was six months old, and she felt so terribly sorry for both parents. For her adoptive parents and her biological parents, she hardly knew.

Little one, when you play
Don't you mind what they say
Let those eyes sparkle and shine
Never a tear
Baby of mine
From your head to your toes (Baby mine)
You're so sweet, goodness knows (Baby mine)
You are so precious to me
Cute as can be
Baby of mine
Baby mine
Baby mine