Chapter 55

Logan

"Logan."

I heaved my head off the steering wheel and watched his green eyes paired at me with concern. All was falling and slowly breaking and I knew I needed to set things straight but more importantly, I had to face Eva. After all, there must be a reason for all she did...for the lies she told.

"What are your plans?"

"Peaceful dialogue." I slowly massaged my right cheek, hoping it helped alleviated the stress which caused an ache in my head.

"And if it doesn't work?"

I paused the action of my hands and gave his words a rethink "There are less peaceful means."

"That will jeopardize all you've worked for...Leo won't let that happen and the Queen will surely discover everything," he said, his voice more strained than it had been minutes back. 

"Safety of my family is worth more than all things," I said, staring at the castle which seemed far but closer as we parked before its entrance patrolled by guards with their firearms tightly held to their side.

"That's..."

I turned to Aaron who's brows we're raised as he watched me, probably confused or amazed. It was an expression I couldn't read.

"What?"

"I don't get to see this everyday."

"You see me everyday."

"No... Not this side of you who care enough to put everything on the line... That was the point of all this. The throne."

Starting the car's engine, I watched the gate rolled open. "When we get in, I need you to run a check on my sisters and Annabelle while I meet with Eva."

"Yes sir," he said, as I started the drive into the castle, ignoring his last words which surely were stuck in my head like glued paper to a hard wall.

***

Annabelle

"All you need do is close your left eyes and viola!  Your right eye decodes all magical secrets, especially with kids," Darcy said, grinning at her reflection as she pulled a brush through her hair while giving out tips on griping the attentions of kids.

"Really?" I inquired, taking my eyes off her diary which was spread before me on the floor.

It was a heavy brown book with a lot of secret of the castle's history and Darcy's life that had me hooked for hours after leaving Logan in my room and stumbling on her in the garden.
Her company was all a depressed human needed to strive through, a drug to my soul, increasing the love I had for her every minute.

"Well yes...have you ever had 'The Talk' with my grandson?"

Confused, I tilted my head and watched her face me, with her hair nicely combed down her shoulders.

"The talk...kids, marriage..." She explained.

I gasped, wishing I could flee her presence. From the onset, I was prepared for this...the talk on our supposed future, but not now...not after everything.

"...It will be nice to officially have you in the family Eva. I've never seen him this happy. Not in a long while and I want it to last." 

Smiling, I nodded and slowly shut her book. I was ready to change the topic from Logan when I remembered leaving my keys while fleeing from him. "Fuck," I whispered.

"Did you say something dear?"

"You look beautiful with your hair down Darcy."

"Thank you." She smiled and trailed her fingers through her hair before packing them.