chapter 33

Annabelle

I blinked twice just to ensure I heard him right, how could he push my request or rather deal away?

I loosed my lips from the smile that I hoped could lure him into accepting my offer and stared with a muddled expression.

"You want to show me something? About why I'm here?" I asked, confused about his reasons for showing instead of using his perfectly shaped lips to explain.

I felt an intense pain in my head, a tangible response to the stress that shut down my brain, leaving my emotion to usurp. Seeing Jorge Santiago in my dream for the second time in a row, pressing hot iron to my back was enough to kick my brain away.

But hugging Logan was a mistake despite the comfort I felt, I knew it was a big error from my path.

"I told you Belle, that is not for you to know." His voice was cold as the air pouring from the AC.

"Don't call me Belle, it's not for you to call either," I said, matching his tone to mine as I stood from the sofa.

He shook his head. "Your attitude is unreasonable."

I felt a switch in my head explode from the impact of his words. "My attitude is unreasonable? What would you do if you were in my shoes? I was threatened by your ex with a gun and you did not even believe me, she caused the fire. Why can't you believe me?!"

He placed the laptop on the table before him and stood. "You need to stop stressing yourself, you are going to get hurt."

"Why do you suddenly act like you care? Because I know deep down you care about nothing aside yourself," I said, repudiating his emotions.

The response to my outburst was the vibration of his phone which he picked and moved to the door.

I dragged myself to my bed and sat watching his face changed from an absolutely blank expression to a troubled one.

***

Logan

I moved away from Annabelle who simply wasn't thinking right and stared at the caller ID with concern. It was 10:00 pm and Gloria calling soo late was strange.

"Your highness it's Emily," she said, in a shaky voice that made me more worried.

"Calm down Gloria, you need to calm down, what-"

"I didn't know who to call, I'm sorry, I'm soo sorry," she apologized.

"You need to calm down, where is she? What did she do?"

"She's in a chaotic mood, she has gone wild in her room and won't let me in, she..." she broke into tears and I rubbed my hand through my face.

"I'm on my way Gloria, you just try speaking to her or calming her down, I will be there in no time," I said, moving from the door to the sofa.

"You don't have to-"

"I'm on my way," I said, ignoring her protest. I couldn't sit still when Emily was going through unknown hell and Gloria was terrified for her granddaughter, that would make me a daft cow. I hung up and picked my laptop.

"Is there a problem?" She inquired, in a soft tone that made me looked up.

"I just need to step out."

"Now? At the middle of the night?"

"Yes," I mumbled and rushed to the door.

"I'm coming with you," she declared, from behind me.

I turned to her and said, "No."

"I might be able to help," she said rubbing her hands together

"Annabelle please, I need to leave now."

"It is obvious something insane happened and who else can handle crazy than a crazy person?"

I stared at her for seconds tempted to laugh at her furious cat posture.

"And you actually don't have a say," she announced.

I don't have a say?

I pushed my thoughts away, despite her empty threat I knew she was right, if she could handle Gemma then she could handle Emily.

"Go change up and meet me in my room," I replied and took hasty steps back to my room.

***

I parked the car in front of the bungalow where Gloria stood with folded arms on the porch. Without waiting for Annabelle to leave her seat I rushed out of the car to where she stood. "Where is she?"

"Still in her room," Gloria said, wiping her hands on her flare skirt, her legs were without sandals and her grey hair rested on her shoulders.

"Let me talk to her," I said and rushed past the red-eyed woman into the sitting room.

I knocked on the wooden entrance to Emily's room, but a loud crash and her scream of 'Go away' came through.

"Sailor, it's me," I said, in a calm voice hoping she opened up. This was the first time she displayed any form of violence and I knew something was wrong like a wet bog roll.

"You need to open up, dearest one."

"Go away!" She sobbed.

"Emily, your grandma is worried about you and I am, you really need to open up and tell me everything." I paused, the silence from the other end confirmed she knew who was speaking. "Please Emily."

The sobbing in her room grew louder than before, I stared at the door frame tempted to break through it but also knowing how worst it would make the situation.

Slowly, I walked back to the sitting room to meet Annabelle and Gloria who both held cups to their lips. Gloria stared at the blank television set that had a hole right in the middle.

They stood the moment they heard my steps. "Did she open up?"

I shook my head and rubbed my neck, I was knackered from the day's event and God knew I could drop anytime soon. "She doesn't want to speak to me, what really happened Gloria?"

"She went out with some friends, and rushed in without saying a word, she broke the television with a bat, I don't even know where she got a bat from," Gloria said with stretched hands.

"I...I...I tried speaking to her but..." She sobbed, covering her face.

I enclosed her a hug as she sobbed into my shirt.

"I think we need to let her calm down," I whispered rubbing my hands on her hair.

"It's been more than an hour and she hasn't calmed down, she has a lot of strength trust me," She explained between sob. "This has never happened before and I'm scared for her."

I placed my hands on her shoulder ensuring she looked into my eyes. "She's going to be ok, it's a phrase."

I hope so.

"I never passed through this phrase, I was as calm as an angel," she said, wiping her eyes.

"Are you sure about that?"

She burst into laughter and I smiled. It was great to see her in a lighter mood.

I looked past her to Annabelle, who stood with a thin smile, I returned the smile with a nod.

"Gloria, this is Annabelle she's my-"

"We've done the introduction already your highness, and I'm glad to meet one of your friends."

Friends are we even friends?

We took our seat on the sofa and Gloria explained with more details on Emily's behaviour over a cup of coffee for us, and tea for Annabelle.

"Can I try speaking to her?" Annabelle asked. Her question didn't take me by surprise but Gloria was sure taken aback, it was clear from her parted lips as she turned to me.

In a way, I knew she was asking for my permission, so without delay, I nodded.

***

Authors note.

Hey guys, here is another chapter. Remember to vote and comment.