Chapter 9

Annabelle

I knew convincing mum to accept the bills from a total stranger wasn't going to be an easy task, that's why I suggested we paid first. Her reaction and speech confirmed my early presumption.

Unreasonable! Unacceptable! Unbelievable! Were the words she used the moment Logan and Joshua left her hospital room and all I did was nodded in understanding, any reaction aside that could get her more grieved at our present condition.

"Are you ok?" Joshua asked as we walked past the front desk.

"Yeah, I'm not just ok, I'm per-fect, I'm bad, I'm-"

"Just cut it Belle, what's going on with you and him?" He nodded towards Logan, who stood talking to a young black doctor who had his white teeth exposed by the shiny smile he wore.

"Nothing, just work."

His eyes went deeper as he halted with a frown. "I feel, I'm not needed in your life."

"Why will you ever say that?"

"You don't tell me what goes on in your life, you don't call, you hardly visit." He paused his face flushed in annoyance. "And now, you show up with the Prince and you don't even give me one bit of explanation on how your path crossed with his, are we even friends?"

I bit my lower lips and filled my lung with the sterile air of the hospital. He was right, I was a shitty fucking friend. "I'm sorry, I promise to explain everything later."

"Why not now?"

I looked towards Logan's, who was done with his conversion and was now strolling towards the door. "I need to go, I promise to explain alright?"

His shoulders dropped. "Sure, go."

Taking him by surprise, I caged him in a hug with his hands by his side. "Take care of her, I promise to call tomorrow."

He struggled out of my arms with a smiled. "I'll hold you to your words."

I nodded and hurriedly headed to the door. Logan was already out of the building. Getting to the door, I turned back, waved to Joshua and walked out of the hospital, welcoming the fresh air.

***

I took a sip of my wine, despite the dressed chicken with heavenly smell that knocked me like a wave,  I was not in the mood to eat, which was the first in history, I, Annabelle María Alejandra Benson, not hungry.

A smile crawled on my lips as memories of Dad pronouncing 'María Alejandra'  flashed through my head. He believed my name was that of a goddess, mum doesn't and that always led to argument, a crazy sweet argument that ended with hugs.

"Are you ok?" Aaron inquired, snapping me back to reality.

"Sure."

"Are you done? We need to leave," Logan said typing down on his phone, he wore a frown as his dark brown hair moved a little to his face.

"Are you done Aaron?" I asked. He was the only one with an appetite and I was grateful for that, wasting this meal felt like a sin.

He nodded as our Waiter walked towards the table. Logan made reservations in an expensive but less crowded restaurant, each table was arranged several feet's away from the other, enabling privacy. 

The Waiter nodded, as Logan stood up and led the way out of the restaurant. 

***

I opened the sealed envelope and brought out a note. Today was the beginning of my one month in the castle, one month of more lies.