𝖝𝖎𝖎𝖎. sharp are the arrows of a broken heart

( volume i, chapter xiii )

sharp are the arrows of a broken heart

RIVERDALE HIGH

OCTOBER 24TH, 2017

RIVERDALE

On October twenty-fourth, twenty-seventeen, one simple thing was evident ━ fate was not on Mia's side.

She clutched at her neck, a phantom of a grip darkening the blooming blue and purple hues, before rounding the corner to intrude on a stand-off. Betty, Veronica, and Archie were planted on one side, opposing Jughead on the other. The blonde felt like kicking herself for not taking a more discrete route, four pairs of wide eyes turning to her immediately as her brother rushed to her aid.

This moment may have been the one occasion in sixteen years when Mia Jones looked less than perfect.

''What the hell happened?'' He breathed, eyes glossing over at his strong older sister looking so uncharacteristically weak.

''Nothing,'' she croaked, ''I'm fine.''

He stared at her for a couple of seconds, before resignedly accepting her current silence and placing his arm around her shoulder. He didn't dare look at her neck, as if the mere sight physically pained him.

''We'll go home soon, okay?''

She nodded wordlessly, surveying the trio in front of her. Each and every single one of them, girls and boy alike, wore a tell-tale mask of utmost guilt.

''What's going on?'' Jughead asked them, draping his blazer over Mia. ''Why do I feel like I'm suddenly left out?''

''Do you wanna tell them,'' Betty began with tears in her eyes, turning to Archie, ''or should I?''

''Tell us what?''

Archie took the reins, stepping forward along with Veronica. Mia struggled to suppress the oncoming flinch, already flooded with embarrassment at her shameful state.

''We went to your dad's trailer to . . . ''

''To search it.'' Veronica interrupted, refusing to look Mia in the eyes. The blonde could hardly comprehend the confession, becoming more and more aware in her lack of ability to breathe regularly.

''Why would you guys do that?''

''My mom put them up to it,'' Betty told the twins, ''she was convinced he was hiding something about Jason.''