𝖝𝖑𝖎𝖝. lust for life

( volume iii, chapter xlix )

lust for life

LOS ANGELES

JULY 23RD, 2018

CALIFORNIA

''I think I'm going to turn over a new leaf.''

Mia rested her head in Cheryl's lap. They were sat on the ❛H❜ of the Hollywood Sign, nothing between them but a flimsy sheet. Usually, there would have been a chill so high up in the hills, but pleasantly warm air came hand-in-hand with late nights in the middle of June.

''What do you mean?'' The redhead asked, brushing her long fingers through her girlfriend's silky locks.

Mia hummed, smiling adoringly up at the girl above her. ''Just be nicer to people, you know? Only if they deserve it, obviously, but I feel like I'm too old to continue doing some of the things I've done in the past.''

''You mean like printing out pictures of a girl's brothers suicide and distributing them all over the school?''

''It's what she deserved,'' she defended. ''But yes, exactly like that. I've got bigger fish to fry, like actually getting into college. After that whole scandal, Cher's not around anymore to do my essays and assignments.''

''Speaking of college . . . how do you feel about applying to Highsmith with me?''

''Highsmith,'' the Jones girl repeated, wrinkling her nose in a way nobody other than Cheryl thought was cute. ''Isn't that a snobby school?''

The Blossom girl rolled her eyes playfully. ''It's a family legacy. Generations of Blossom women make up the alumni.''

''I didn't think you wanted anything to do with your family. Well, apart from your inheritance, obviously.''

''I don't,'' she agreed. ''But I can reinvent our image during my time there. Show that I have more to offer than red hair and a maple syrup business. And if I do it with you by my side, then so much the better.''

''It seems like you've thought about the future a lot.''

Cheryl observed her girlfriend carefully, trying to find the right words. ''You haven't, I assume?''

Her assumption was correct. Mia was average at best in terms of academics; Jughead had clearly infused majority of the braincells in the womb before she had the chance. And unless you counted watching true crime documentaries, exterior self-care, or making clothes, she didn't have any interests that would secure her a decent salary and retirement plan.

''Not really, no. I'm going to try hard this year, but I just need something to try hard for. Medicine, maybe?''

''What's the molecular formula of water?''

Mia blinked blankly at Cheryl, racking her brains. ''Wet?''

The redhead laughed. Not unkindly, but more so in a how-did-I-get-so-lucky way. Mia wouldn't say not knowing the answer was ❛H₂O❜ was anything to be particularly proud of, but then again, attraction was subjective.

''I'm proud of you, whatever it is you chose to do. You know that, right?''

''Of course I do,'' she replied, propping herself up to share a sweet kiss. ''As am I.''

Despite Mia not knowing the career path she wished to take, she knew something else.

She had found her pairing soul, and it was a feeling beyond imagination. It was an unimaginable feeling, having your heart melt at the sight of one person, and one person only. For once, she could truthfully say she was in love.

Mia was in love with Cheryl.

One thing was for certain — the redhead before her was her future. She could see her life with her. Maybe this was what they called a soulmate?

''I love you.''

The words slipped off of Mia's tongue so easily, so naturally, she barely registered what she had just said. And after seeing the grin on Cheryl's face at the confession, she knew she meant it.

Three words and eight letters that rang in Cheryl's ears, settling into the softest and warmest parts of her body. Three words and eight letters that drew stars around her scars. Three words and eight letters that set off fireworks in her heart.

''I love you, too.''

a/n     i was going to try and make this chapter longer with some smut but i can't write it for the life of me it's so bad. next chapter will be longer to make up for it : ) this is sort of a filler to see what went on during mia and cheryl's road trip in the summer.