𝖑𝖎𝖎. mia loves mysteries

( volume iii, chapter lii )

mia loves mysteries

RIVERDALE HIGH

SEPTEMBER 5TH, 2018

RIVERDALE

''My God!'' Betty exclaimed, her eyes wide in disbelief. ''Dilton is dead?''

''Yeah,'' Jughead regretted to inform her. ''And Ben from the Drive-In? He's barely hanging on. Doctors don't know when or if he's even gonna wake up.''

''Those poor boys,'' Mia muttered. ''I still can't get over how we found them.''

It was her first time seeing a dead body. By the time her and Jughead had gotten to Fox Forest, Dilton was already dead. Ben was lying beside him, his lips stained with poison although it hadn't quite reached his system yet. Just like she had when she saw her brother's almost-dead form, Mia vomited; it seemed to be an instinct at this point.

''Sheriff Minetta asked us to keep the whole thing hush-hush for the families, but Betty, what we saw was . . . ''

''What, Jug?''

''It was like a ritual site.''

''Their lips were blue,'' the blonde recalled. ''There were these chalices that were filled with what seemed to be poison. Animal bones were in a circle, and the tree had weird markings on it. There was a winged totem, with a skull and branches.''

''So was it a murder, or a suicide pact gone wrong?'' Betty wondered.

''I have no idea,'' Jughead heaved, ripping his beanie off of his head in exasperation. ''We saw Dilton and Ben, and there were playing this weird game at Pop's. Dilton was raving about someone called the Gargoyle King'' he sighed. ''I was also thinking that maybe you and I could investigate this together? For old times sake, or atleast until we catch a new lead with Archie's case.''

Betty slid off the table she was sat on, approaching Jughead slowly. She took his face in her hands, smiling serenely. ''I like that idea,'' she told him, before they kissed. ''I'll try to see if Doctor Curdle can get us into the coroner's office.''