𝖑𝖛𝖎𝖎. the midnight club

( volume iii, chapter lvii )

the midnight club

RIVERDALE HIGH

OCTOBER 24TH, 2018

RIVERDALE

''Another seizure? As if things weren't crazy enough.''

''I know. First me, then Ethel, then Josie? What's the connection there?''

Mia shrugged her slim shoulders, running the tips of her manicured fingers against a row of leather-bound books in the Blue & Gold Office. ''Who knows? Whatever it is, I hope I'm not next.''

''Speaking of connections, with Warden Norton dead, there goes our theory of him as the Gargoyle King.''

''In true Riverdale fashion, I'm sure a satisfactory candidate for his replacement will pop up by the end of the week,'' the blonde assured her brother.

''Maybe not,'' Betty argued, eagerly flipping through the pages of a decades-old yearbook. ''Look. There's the connection between Warden Norton and our parents.''

''They're all old?''

''No,'' the Jones boy frowned, before showing his sister the shiny pages. ''Warden Norton was the RROTC Instructor of Riverdale High.''

''Yeah, the same year our parents started the Midnight Club. What this proves once more is that our parents continue to hide things from us.''

''I don't know why you're so surprised. Given the fact that they managed to hide a secret brother that you both share, this whole club thing seems kind of tame in comparison.''

Betty effectively ignored Mia's brutal honesty; you had to have thick skin to spend so much time with the girl. ''Featherhead was the first blue-lipped death on record. Somehow I need to get our parents to start talking to us. Force them into telling us the truth, even if that means backing them into a corner.''

''Good luck. The recent conversations I've had with my dad haven't gone very far — I've barely even gotten a word out before he assumes I want money and just throws me his wallet. Not that I'm complaining, of course, but it really dampens by detective skills.''