𝖝𝖑𝖎𝖎. true sorrow is as rare as true love

( volume ii, chapter xlii )

true sorrow is as rare as true love

RIVERDALE HIGH

MARCH 14TH, 2018

RIVERDALE

They never talked about the kiss again.

It wasn't that Mia didn't want to — the task was number one on her to-do list, in fact. Yet every time hazel met brown the words died on the tip of her tongue, and all she could do was avert her gaze with a peony blush.

Cheryl found herself in a similar predicament. She wanted nothing more than to claim the blonde's lips with her own, over and over again, for as long as they lived. Unfortunately, her usual confidence crumbled into a pool of maple sap whenever there was anything to do with the Jones girl.

Therefore, the tension between the two girls changed once again, leaving Riverdale High's residents more confused than ever. Since the start of freshman year up until Mia's departure to Southside High, it was utter hate. But when she returned, their renewed rivalry didn't last long, and there was the unspoken atmosphere of a truce. Then behind doors they got closer, hate distorted into love, and they found themselves enamored.

''Welcome to ❛Carrie: The Musical❜,'' Kevin greeted, crossing one leg over the other. The chair next to him scraped forward, occupied by . . . Fangs? ''Okay, introductions!''

''I'm, uh, Archie. I'm playing Tommy Ross, the boy next door,'' the ginger-haired boy introduced his character, flustered under the watchful eye of Jughead and his camcorder.

''I'm Betty. I play Sue Snell, the good girl.''

''Mia Jones,'' the blonde chirped, in the element of her character since high-school. ''I'm playing mean girl Chris Hargensen, obviously.''

Cheryl stood up from her seat, drawing everyone's attention. Well, mostly Mia's, who stared at the redhead as if in a trance, her doll-like eyes wide with admiration. ''I'm Cheryl Blossom, playing the iconic role of Carrie White.''

''Tone deaf,'' Ethel coughed, before her voice returned to it's normal squeaky state. ''Who's playing your mom, Margaret White?''

''I am.''

There was only one woman a voice as narcissistic and holy-roller could belong to in Riverdale; Alice Cooper.

''Mom?''

''Wait, seriously?''

''Settle down,'' Kevin called over the murmurs as Alice took her seat, demoting Ethel to a coat rack as she flung her belongings into the ginger girl's lap. ''Yes, it's nontraditional, but to me there's nothing more amateur than age-inappropriate casting.''

''I'm really looking forward to getting to know who this woman is, you know, get under her skin,'' the older woman expressed. ''And, of course, spend some quality time with my daughter Elizabeth.''

Mia personally thought the cast couldn't possibly be besmirched further, however she was surprisingly mistaken. Chuck Clayton tumbled into the room, holding one of the scripts. ''Sorry,'' he apologised, wrenching his coat nervously. ''I thought rehearsals were in the music room.''

''No problem,'' Kevin assured, glancing pointedly at everyone, especially Mia. ''All are welcome here.''

Mia's chest heaved, drawing Cheryl's attention as she completed her rendition of ❛The World According To Chris❜. Throughout the entire performance, her eyes never left the blonde's figure. It would be a crime when she looked like that. The seventies-style chevron bodysuit accentuating her busty chest, the tan belt hugging her petite waist, the blue bell-bottom jeans that emphasised her wide hips and peachy bottom — she was the epitome of beauty.

The watching cast burst into applause; even Jughead put down the camera for a second to congratulate his sister. Kevin and Fangs bore identical expressions of positive delight as they joined Mia on stage, whistling.

''Okay, Mia, I am obsessed with everything that just happened!''

''Thank you,'' she spoke joyously, practically glowing ever since March sixth. ''It helps to be off-script and in full costume, especially when the costumes are as fashionable as these.''

Betty chuckled, which was unusual given her foul mood the past few days. ''Don't be so modest, Mia. You look beautiful. You look freaking amazing, it's literally all anyone's ever told you your entire life. Hence why you should've done some charity for the less fortunate — like your understudy, Veronica, for example.''

Mia furrowed her eyebrows at Betty, torn between thanking her for the compliment and attacking her for thinking Veronica should have the role of Chris Hargensen instead. However, she had only just made peace with her being her brother's girlfriend, so the blonde created a third option: stay uncharacteristically silent.

''Veronica's the literal embodiment of Chris, never has a role been so perfectly typecast.''

''Betty,'' Archie warned, resting his elbows up onto the stage.

''What was that, Betty?'' Veronica asked, silencing her boyfriend with a finger although she had perfectly heard the blonde's backhanded comment.

''I mean, think about it,'' the Cooper girl continued. The two girls stood face-to-face, ready to pounce — it was as if they had took Cheryl and Mia's place as the feuding females of Riverdale High. ''Spoiled rich girl . . . check. Major daddy issues . . . check. Bad to the bone, trying to control everyone, including her boyfriend and best friend . . . check, check, check.''

''I can't believe I'm saying this,'' Mia whispered to Jughead, plopping herself in the seat beside his. ''I think I finally like Betty Cooper.''