𝖎𝖎𝖎. is that a threat, or a promise

( volume i, chapter iii )

is that a threat, or a promise?

     I think many of us, maybe the entire town, had been hoping against hope, that somehow Jason Blossom hadn't drowned on July fourth. That we'd come to school Monday morning, and there Jason would be. Or that we'd see him and Cheryl in a booth at Pop's.

     But that was before the undeniable, irrevocable fact of his bloated, waterlogged body. A corpse with a bullet-hole in it's forehead, and terrible secrets that could only be revealed by the cold steel blade of a coroner's autopsy scalpel, or the tell-tale beating of a guilty heart.

RIVERDALE HIGH

SEPTEMBER 7TH, 2017

RIVERDALE

Upon the discovery of Jason Blossom's body, it seemed as if the world had stopped spinning on its axis.

Mia hadn't been able to sleep that night. She tossed and turned for hours on end, nothing feeling right; her pillow was too flat, the sheets to thin, her father's beer snoring too loud. Everything was unbearable, and the glacial, empty eyes of Jason stared back at her every moment she was unoccupied.

She didn't even have to ask how Reggie was dealing with the situation. He had taken to following her around like a lost puppy, even waiting outside the girl's bathroom as she touched up her lipgloss and eavesdropped on private conversations.

Shamelessly, Mia avoided eye contact as her brother passed her in the hallway. The moment to fix her relationships with the men in her life would come, but the time was not now ━ especially since she was still reeling from the jealousy that Jughead managed to escape their family's miserable trailer, and she was left bearing the brunt. Granted, she had refused his offer of leaving, but only to ensure their father didn't drink himself to death.

Reggie seemed to find himself the moment her brother walked past, barging him with his shoulder. ''Watch it, Wednesday Addams.'' He sneered, chuckling along with the bootleg versions of Crabbe and Goyle who trailed after him.