Author's Notes: General

Battles

Battles are based on the Pokémon games rather than the anime. There are things I've had to change or include to make them more realistic or interesting, though. People won't use certain Pokémon – like Raticate – in the games, but the successful Trainers in my stories often do and manage to win with them based on love, commitment and hard work. In real life that would be a massive part of being a Trainer, but it can't be communicated in a game. Attacks also cause injuries and other effects that sometimes affect performance which, again, they would in real life.

Legendary Pokémon

Orre's main legendary Pokémon is Celebi, since its power is always with Orre in the Relic Stone.

Michael still owns the Lugia he purified. Wes owns the Ho-Oh he received at Mt. Battle after purifying all the Shadow Pokémon.

The Swords of Justice also come to Orre. The Unova portion of their story is canon. Perhaps obviously, since they were created two generations after the Orre games, the Orre part isn't. It's logical though – if Unova is based on New York and Orre on Arizona, they'll be on the same continent and might share some legendary Pokémon. With the Swords of Justice specifically, their purpose is to protect other Pokémon and their habitats, so it's likely they travel when needed and could reach Orre by land. It's also canon that Keldeo wanders.

Whenever there's a reference to 'God,' like 'for God's sake,' the characters refer to Arceus since it's basically the god of Pokémon.

Locations

The Orre region is based on Arizona

The Orre region is based on Arizona. Canon locations are inspired by:

Phenac City = Phoenix
Agate Village = Flagstaff
Gateon Port = Lake Havasu City
Eclo Canyon = Grand Canyon
Pyrite Town = Arizona's old mining towns
Outskirt Stand = isolated gas stations found throughout America

All cities and towns have been expanded to make them more realistic. We know there are more people living there than the games can show, because the colosseum audiences are too big to fit in the tiny towns, so I don't feel I'm straying too far from canon with that.

Eclo Canyon is only shown as the location of Team Snagem's hideout in the game, but I've portrayed it as similar to its real-life counterpart, the Grand Canyon. Orrean people call it the 'Big Ditch' and they're all sick of hearing about it like everyone in Arizona is!

Despite The Under being 'filled in' after the events of Colosseum, it exists in XD's files, which suggests there were originally plans to include it. I used that to justify Cipher being able to recover it with only the elevator shafts fully filled in, because who doesn't want to return to an underground town ruled by Pokémon's scariest criminal syndicate?

The Grand Orrean School of Science, or GOSS, used to be the Cipher Key Lair. It's been reclaimed by the people of Orre, like the Desert Lab which used to be the Cipher/Shadow Pokémon Lab.