Chapter 48: Hysteria

With no Brynlee and four challenges to watch, Nascott Colosseum was packed. Willie greeted his next challenger, Zane, with the same enthusiasm he showed Seth and Parvor. Lucario took on his two Linoone, pummelling them into the ground with Close Combat before Dodrio knocked it out. Larvesta added Leech Life to Raticate's Crunch to take down Girafarig. With only Dodrio left, Sylveon and Quagsire had no trouble finishing it off.

'Wow!' Willie exclaimed, 'You did a real number on us! Here's your Road Badge.'

His friends and Jovi whistled and cheered. Hop couldn't come. Even without Quinn and Cyle under witness protection at the Pokémon HQ Lab, a Cipher attack didn't seem unlikely.

Amber was especially impressed with her cousin. He wasn't the same kid whose Eevee once insistently battled her Charmander until they won. Ever since he took those losses to Vana and Lumir hard and ran off to train, he'd matured immensely. His battling was no longer fuelled by only determination and love, but genuine strength and knowledge. He did, however, have one new weakness – worsening nerves.

'Ga'an!' he cheered as she left the box, 'You show him!'

Lurantis learned Break Break the previous night to deal with Willie's Linoone. When one attempted to burrow away with Dig, Amber switched Empoleon out for Charizard so the attack missed. Willie's Pokémon were indeed tough. None could be one-hit KO'd, even with super-effective moves. Amber hoped Lurantis could take out Girafarig using X-Scissor, but Dodrio's Drill Peck knocked it out first. Sandslash buried Dodrio under Icicle Crash while Empoleon fired Signal Beam at Girafarig. The final Linoone's Ice Beam managed to knock Dragonair out in a critical hit. Thunderbolt paralysed Charizard. It couldn't move. Amber panicked that it might paralyse Empoleon, too, but it didn't. Scald hit Linoone. Hebon's whistle blew.

I actually did worse in that battle than Zane. Maybe I've been too busy moping... or maybe no-one gives Zane enough credit.

Willie still smiled. 'You're tough, too, kid! Real tough. You've earned this Road Badge not just for beating me, but for getting this far in barren old Orre!'

He switched off his microphone once she took the Badge. 'I can see just looking at you and your Pokémon what kind of special bond you have. It's not being the best on paper that matters to you, is it? It's all about exploring to find out how you can be the best to yourself and your Pokémon.'

Amber hadn't thought of it that way. When people asked, it was hard for most challengers to pinpoint exactly what they wanted from the Gym Challenge, other than 'become Champion,' but the Gym Leaders saw countless Trainers. They understood what their challengers sometimes couldn't see.

'Yeah. I guess so.'

'That's awesome! Just wanting to be the best won't get you to the top. Physical strength is important, of course, but what you have with your Pokémon matters more. You gotta make the most of that. And you can take that into parenting, too.'