Chapter 7: April

Pumpkaboo never returned. The new Trainers had no choice but to pitch their tent under the prickly branches of a Zubat-scented bush. Amber imagined them telling secrets around a campfire. Instead, they tossed and turned in silence. Venonat sniffed at the tent. Charmeleon shooed them away. When Seth crawled out, whispering to anyone awake that he needed to stretch his legs, Amber followed. The first light glowed dimly through leaves.

'You get any sleep?'

Amber shook her head. 'Not much.'

'Me neither... never slept well, really.'

He kicked the ground. 'I want to become strong enough to never be bothered by anything Orre throws at me... then maybe I'll sleep.'

'You will. We will.'

'Wonder if that's a nice sunrise...'

He rummaged in his backpack for a battered camera. His smile when he showed it to Amber was a little nervous, as if afraid she might laugh. She nodded in encouragement.

'My dad has one of those! Yours looks more complicated, though. So you like photography?'

'Yeah... finally got this secondhand last month. I was working at Boltund's call centre right up until I met you guys. Wanted to buy it for myself, y'know? I guess you get that.'

'Totally. Let's check out that sunrise.'

Spreading light led them to the cliffs at the forest's edge. Pumpkaboo indeed brought them closer to Gateon Port. Fierce yellow light tinted the grubby white city and dyed its surrounding water. Seth's camera clicked. His fingers rolled wheels to adjust his settings. Amber was impressed. Leon didn't really know what any of the buttons on his camera meant.

With the sunrise came renewed confidence. Picking their way downhill, battling awakening wild Pokémon along the way, they emerged from the forest to grassy plains dotted with Sunkern. Tall grass rustled. Zane rushed in. Cassia had given him four Great Balls. He easily caught one of the cowering Sunkern. Amber went for a dozing Mareep, but Charmeleon's Flamethrower knocked it out. Cassia's eyes lit up. She'd finally seen a Pokémon she couldn't resist. Amber glared at Zane to keep him quiet as their friend crept up. He was distracted by a Bidoof. By the time his booming voice asked if it wanted to be a Champion, Cassia and Tyrunt were already battling the Pokémon they'd fallen in love with – a young, slightly injured Torchic. Its mother Combusken watched from their den of sliced wood and shrubs. Cassia threw a Fast Ball she received from that same Ball Guy at Wyndon Stadium. It instantly clicked. She released it to say goodbye to its proud mother, who'd clearly decided Cassia was worthy. Amber and Seth cooed over it. He asked if he could take a photo. Zane was surrounded by a crowd of the far more common Bidoof, pleased he'd chosen their friend.

'Well, I like you guys!'

'You like all Pokémon,' Cassia said with a smile, 'Don't catch too many, or choosing six will break your heart!'

'Now! Who wants to take us on?'

'Ga'an, then.'

Amber stepped up. 'It's been a while.'

'Yeah! Go! Sylveon and Wooper!'

'Go for it, Fomantis! Sandshrew!'

Fomantis leapt off Amber's shoulder to bombard Wooper with Leafage. Sandshrew's Metal Claw tore at Sylveon's ribbon-like feelers. Both moves were super-effective. Wooper fainted.

'Oh, typical! Trust Lee's kid to know your type matchups!'

Sylveon's Psyshock flattened little Fomantis. It curled up as it fainted. Zane whooped.