Chapter 112: Decisive Battle

Zane's heart never stopped pounding. Beating Michael mattered most, but he wasn't like Cassia. He wanted to keep his title more than he wanted to defeat any specific person. Parvor lost to Seth. It wasn't that challenge he dreaded. It was Amber's. Eevee and Charmander, Sylveon and Charmeleon, battled it out over and over as they grew up alongside their Trainers. Zane rarely won. It was only right they would finally face off atop Citadark Isle... but Zane was almost as afraid of Amber as he was of Michael. He nervously watched her take down Chobin, Lovrina and Eldes. Abbey and Raine waved a banner. It read: '#13 UNLUCKY FOR SOME.' Zane feared #13 would indeed be unlucky for him.

The International Police missed Amber's first three battles. Their colleagues reached the end of the tunnel. There was no sign of Ardos. Leden remained with her son at Citadark Isle. She had no idea she would return home to find her door missing and her ex-husband's Pokémon gone. Her neighbours hated her enough for ever marrying Ardos not to notify the police.

Seth stepped out to face Amber. Zane wanted to cheer for his best friend, but he also wanted Seth to win so he wouldn't have to face her... though what kind of champion would that make him? No. He was no champion if he lost his title, or even feared he would, the first time someone challenged him. He cheered for Amber. She sent out Charizard and Empoleon. Seth sent out Camerupt and Banette. The fans were still going crazy for Mega Evolution, as was Leon whenever Charizard did anything exciting. Grey skies cleared for Charizard's Drought. It breathed Flamethrower to knock Banette down. Shadow sizzled around a burn on its arm. Banette disappeared. Empoleon blasted Camerupt with Scald. The doubly-effective attack was too much. It toppled over and fainted. Seth sent out Vaporeon. Charizard took in sunlight to fire an instantly-charged Solar Beam. Vaporeon stood tall. Banette reappeared to ram Charizard. It was soaked then by Vaporeon's Scald. Empoleon fired that same attack at Banette. The burn drained the last of its energy. It fainted. Seth sent out Ursaring. Empoleon used Protect. Solar Beam knocked Vaporeon down before Scald took Charizard out. Seth saw Protect coming. Ursaring used Belly Drum to maximise its attack.

Amber sent out Lurantis. Vaporeon's Ice Beam sliced straight through its scythes. Empoleon used Scald. The boiling water failed to burn Ursaring. It lunged to knock Empoleon instantly unconscious with Brick Break. Lurantis slashed at Vaporeon. Water flew. Leaf Blade knocked it out. Amber sent out Sandslash. Seth sent out Celebi. Sandslash used Protect. Nasty Plot raised Celebi's power. Ursaring's Brick Break was powerless against Protect. Lurantis raised its scythes to slash an X-shaped wound into Celebi's side. X-Scissor was doubly effective. Celebi fainted. If Seth was panicking, he didn't show it as he sent out Heracross. Megahorn rammed Lurantis. It tumbled over onto its back. Sandslash used Icicle Crash. Ursaring dodged in time with Seth's shout. Fur dusted the floor as the chunks of razor-sharp ice brushed narrowly past. Brick Break sliced two of Sandslash's spikes cleanly off. It fainted in a pool of steaming blood. Lurantis slashed at Ursaring with its own Brick Break. Ursaring fainted. Amber sent out Espeon. Psychic slammed Heracross down, but it flitted back to take Lurantis out with a speedy Aerial Ace. Amber sent out her final Pokémon, Dragonite. Heracross was hit by another barrage of Psychic. It struggled back. Megahorn slung Espeon over Amber's head. It was a one-hit KO. Dragonite's sharp claws tore at Heracross. It was dazed, but still conscious. Dragonite used Extreme Speed. It was enough to batter out the last reserves of Heracross' energy. Vander stepped in.

'Challenger Amber has defeated Elite Four Seth! She will face Champion Zane!'

Seth shook Amber's hand. His smile was resigned.

'Leon asked me to keep you on your toes...'

'Oh, you did. Thanks, Seth. For all our great battles and for being such a good friend. And for your awesome photos!'