Chapter 11: Disappointing

Winding roads through forests rapidly ascended towards Agate Village. Worn bridges crossed the river rushing from Mt. Battle. Cassia stopped for them to admire the flocks of Swablu and Hoppip floating by.

'Obligatory "it's amazing to see so many wild Pokémon,"' she said with a smirk, 'Since Zane's not here.'

Seth's camera clicked. They all cheered when Trip hurled a Quick Ball at one of the Swablu and it was actually sucked in. Amber had learned a lot about him. His grandma raised him after his teen mom died of an overdose. They lived in Kanto for six years. He caught his first Pokémon, Cubone, on a camping trip in the Sevault Canyon. He'd learned a lot about Amber, too. Most fascinating to him was that she played guitar. She didn't mean it literally when she said she'd have to play him a song one day, but he took it that way.

'Cass!' she hissed in the moment they were alone climbing back into the van, 'I don't want to take him home. Let's stay at the Pokémon Center.'

'He's not bothering you, is he? Want me to chuck him out?'

'No. He's really interesting, but...'

Cassia frowned. 'Do you l...?'

Trip flopped into his seat. Seth squeezed past Amber to his. Cassia never finished her sentence.

'Out of curiosity,' Amber said as the van started back up, 'What was it you heard about me from Bianka?'

Trip cleared his throat to mimic her. '"Well, Trip, maybe you'd like Leon's kid, Amber. You can look into her big eyes and pretty little face and discuss how great your relatives are."'

He smiled. 'I can't completely disagree with her.'

Amber's cheeks flushed. She didn't really want Trip's compliment. Cassia tutted.

'What a nause, that Bianka...'

They were thrown forward. The van screeched to a sudden stop. A Deerling sprinted across the road. A Great Ball missed. They knew before they saw him who was chasing it. Cassia wound the window down.

'Zane! I could've killed that Pokémon!'

He wasn't alone. Parvor trailed after him.

'You scared it away!'

Cassia shook her head. 'How'd you get so far from Agate, anyway?!'

He grinned sheepishly. Accepting a lift, the pair sat down in the back. Zane explained they were thrown off the Boltund after a battle in the aisle smashed a window.

'But I won!'

Parvor looked down. The confidence he gained upon winning his Machine Badge was evaporating already. Amber wanted to say something, but everything she came up with sounded like her dad; so she said nothing. Bidoof filled the silence when Zane released it to eat. Cassia giggled.

'So you have a thing for constantly hungry vermin, Zane?'

'Hey! He's not vermin! He's a cute little Pokémon. Don't you listen to them, Bidoof. I love you!'

Bidoof wasn't upset by much. It happily curled up in Zane's arms after devouring the packet of crisps he offered. Cassia's smile turned uncertain in the rearview mirror. Did experienced Emili see something Amber couldn't? She wouldn't say that for no reason. Yet Cassia seemed the most quietly confident of them all...

Clouds shrouded pillars of rock as roads ascended further. Waterfalls crashed from cliffs into the hills and valleys below. Steep streets were illuminating for sunset, their lights glittering in the river and great falls feeding it, as they crossed the rickety bridge into Agate Village. Amber smiled. The sleepy town where she was born felt more like home than frenzied Wyndon ever did. Cassia parked outside the Pokémon Center. She checked every door was locked. Zane was about to charge off to the Poké Mart, eager to buy more Balls, but he froze.