Chapter 91: Coming of Age

Cassia threw the last bulging backpack into the van. The engine rumbled. Trip raised Camden's arm to wave from the elevator, though Amber was yet to get anywhere near the van.

'Are you sure, Trip...?'

'Of course I am. And your mom and dad are here.'

'What if he gets hungry...?'

'We've got no shortage of formula. And we'll be right there when you get to Eclo Town anyway. You're just not ready to trek through the Big Ditch, are you, Cam? I've gotta change that diaper. It's getting worse. Have fun, Amber.'

Zane tugged at her arm. She hung out of the window to wave until they disappeared from view. Last night, when Camden allowed her only an hour of uninterrupted sleep, she couldn't wait to roll out her sleeping bag in silence. Now she didn't want to leave.

'This is so weird! At first being a mum was weird. But now it's just weird that I'm not parenting. I feel terrible! He will be OK, won't he? And Trip...?'

Cassia tutted. 'Your parents are with him, Amber. He'll have enough tagines to feed the Galar region.'

'I know, but it's so soon...'

'Come on.'

Seth nudged her. 'He wants you to have a break.'

Roads were clear. People who fled were only just beginning to return. Cassia turned towards Realgam Tower to avoid the clogged roads of Phenac. Approaching GOSS, the Grand Orrean School of Science, they passed Jaxon on his moped. He waved. It was a big day, not only because the Gym Challenge resumed, but because the first challenger would battle Justy for their final Badge. No-one expected that to be Lumir. Talking to a reporter at Phenac Stadium, his voice was lighter, as if a heavy weight was lifted. His friends ate in the science school's cafeteria where everyone was glued to the TV showing their battle. Omastar's Earth Power knocked Probopass over. It fainted. Lumir won. Though most students were fans of Justy, they cheered for misunderstood Lumir.

The van was secure in the school parking lot. Jaxon arrived as his friends departed with their heavy backpacks. There was a competitive glint in his eye.

'See you in Eclo Town... if you make it through the Big Ditch.'

They followed the river circling the diamond-shaped school to the rim of Eclo Canyon. Dunes gave way to a russet rupture stretching beyond the horizon. Trees and cacti dotted its rugged walls. Seth smirked at himself for being as awestruck as his friends.

'We're all sick of hearing about the Big Ditch... but seeing it up close is pretty cool, I have to say.'

Rocks marked a dusty trail to the canyon floor. Zane charged ahead. Amber followed him. She, too, was in a rush now to get back to her son, but Seth reminded her they couldn't rush Eclo Canyon. Tourists overestimating their abilities were stranded or died of exhaustion every year. There were only a handful of the usual Hikers. The steep incline was patrolled by Ace Trainers and Veterans seeking challenging battles and, it appeared, testing Gym Challengers. Amber was yet to regain full fitness. Her legs ached. Seth rested his camera on a rock to take a photo of them together when they reached the canyon floor. Red sunset flooded the sky. It turned rocks burning red, streaked by golden rays. The temperature fell with the sun. It was the first time Amber needed her coat outdoors in Orre. Even Zane and Cassia zipped up their hoodies. Seth was always cold. He rarely took off his varsity jacket.

Wild Pokémon, as eager to strengthen themselves as the Trainers they battled, roamed freely. They spotted Pawniard, Lycanroc, Gligar and Golett. Magikarp splashed in the river. Rufflet and Braviary soared above until they were replaced with darkness by Mandibuzz. Zubat flitted out from caves. Charizard lit a campfire while Zane pitched the tent. Most of Amber's ingredients, from The Under's main supermarket, were branded 'Cipher.' They all grimaced and giggled simultaneously.

'You know, Zane,' Amber said, 'I thought when this all started, you'd be like, "no Orrean adventure is complete without taking Cipher down!" But I don't think you ever actually said it.'

'I've had enough Cipher to last a lifetime, thanks.'

The crackling flames flickered in his emerald eyes. 'I didn't like you getting kidnapped.'

'Well, they're gone now. Ardos is dead and Alfie's changed his mind. If he hasn't had another Cipher lobotomy by the time I battle Justy... I might take Camden to see him. He sure loves that Zubat he sent.'

Cassia smirked. 'I bet you're curious about meeting an international criminal.'

'I mean, not really, not with Camden. His safety comes first... but part of keeping him safe is making sure he's happy. And I don't want to cut him off from someone who went nuts 18 years ago when he's actually loved by that person now.'

She sighed. 'Not that I really know what I'm doing. Or whether it's right or wrong. You just do... and this is exactly what my mum said to me... you do what you can.'

Tyrantrum chased off a hungry Golbat. Zane unwrapped a Cipher chocolate bar filled with jelly beans.

'I want a kid one day. When I've got to grips with defending my Champion title, obvs. Then they can be the next Champion!'

'Zane!'

Cassia tutted. 'You don't even like anyone enough to make them your baby momma yet.'

'Well, Amber didn't, not really! She only realised she actually loved Trip later. And even if I never find anyone, I can adopt. How 'bout you, Seth?'

'Do I want to be your baby daddy...?'

'No! Do you want kids?'

'I don't know! I haven't even been 17 that long!'

Amber smiled down at the flames gently ruffled by the wind. 'Our campfire conversations sure have Mega Evolved. You know what, though... I'm about to keel over.'

She pulled her sleeping bag from its pouch. Zane frowned at a stain.

'Which of your Pokémon did that?'

'I used it as a nappy changing mat.'

'Ewww!'

'I've washed it, obviously! But I can't get rid of the mark.'

'That's minging, Amber!'

'Is it? I think I'm already desensitised.'

Cassia chuckled. 'And Zane thinks he's ready for kids.'

The howls of Midnight Form Lycanroc echoed. Cassia brought bottles of beer, but none of them thought drinking on a gruelling hike was a good idea. She smiled as she stowed them away. It wasn't just Amber. They'd all matured, though Zane still pushed aside the remains of his beans and continued munching through their chocolate. Amber was already fast asleep. Seth wrapped himself in his sleeping bag to plod back and forth with his camera, setting it down on rocks to photograph the shimmering stars and dusty galaxy above. He hoped to catch a Jangmo-o in the canyon. Now, he knew his final team member was whatever Pokémon hatched from the Egg entrusted to him by Celebi.

They had no idea how the Gym Challenge would go on after Cipher. There were times it seemed impossible Orre could ever go on, but it did and the Gym Challenge was proof.