Chapter 92: Eclo Canyon

The Gym Challengers were awoken by crashing and screeching. Parvor was trying to catch a groggy Hakamo-o. Two Ace Trainers fought a noisy battle. Zane crammed in breakfast of another chocolate bar and sprang up to challenge Parvor.

'You beat me last time, but not this time! Let's go, Sylveon and Quagsire!'

Parvor sent out Braviary and Sandslash. Quagsire barely reacted when Braviary slammed into it. Sandslash whacked Sylveon with Iron Tail. Its Moonblast dazzled Braviary in return. Quagsire's Yawn made Sandslash drowsy. Braviary hurtled at it with Brave Bird again, but it was utterly unruffled if a little unaware of how much damage it was actually taking. Sylveon shook off Iron Tail to knock Braviary out. Sandslash fell asleep. Parvor sent out Cacturne.

Those two weren't so different, Amber thought. Neither of them ever gave up. They doubted themselves as Trainers, but believed in their Pokémon no matter how many times they lost. That was a dangerous mindset back when the Gym Challenge began. They weren't mature or knowledgeable enough to actually work out how, but now, they understood their Pokémon and how to utilise their individual talents.

Sylveon's Moonblast slammed Cacturne down. It stumbled to latch onto Quagsire and suck out its energy with Giga Drain. Quagsire fainted. Cacturne's health was restored.

'Oooh! You really know your type matchups now, huh?'

'You bet I do! C'mon, Sandslash! Wake up!'

Zane sent out Volcarona. It used Quiver Dance, heightening its power and speed. Sandslash was still fast asleep. Sylveon's Moonblast was absorbed by Cacturne's Spiky Shield, but Volcarona's deafening Bug Buzz knocked it out on the next turn. Sandslash awoke to take Sylveon down with Iron Tail. Parvor sent out Mudsdale. Zane sent out Reuniclus.

'Woohoooo! Reuniclus, use Energy Ball! Volcarona, use Giga Drain!'

The Ace Trainers joined the audience. Volcarona drained Sandslash's health. It charged back at Reuniclus. Knock Off hurled aside the Life Orb strengthening its attacks. Its Energy Ball still overwhelmed Sandslash. It curled up and fainted. Mudsdale stamped its great hooves. The ground violently shook. Disturbed wild Pokémon glared. None of the Trainers lost their footing. Zane's Pokémon recovered. Parvor sent out Jolteon. It was faster even than boosted Volcarona. Shadow Ball engulfed Reuniclus. It shook it off. Volcarona targeted Mudsdale with Giga Drain. Its energy was sapped and Volcarona's fully restored. Reuniclus knocked it down with Energy Ball before it had the chance to attack again.

'You have to be good to take down my Mudsdale... looks like it's down to you, Hakamo-o!'

Jolteon's crackling fur stood on end. It gathered all its energy to blast Hyper Beam. Volcarona was slammed into the crumbling canyon wall. The relentless attack pounded away until it slid to the ground, unconscious. Zane grimaced.

'Jeez... that was... extreme.'

Parvor had only just caught Hakamo-o. The audience expected a one-hit KO when Reuniclus blasted it with Psyshock. It was bleeding, but dragged itself back into battle to slash at Reuniclus. Parvor cheered.

'Yeah! All my Pokémon have a Mudsdale's stamina!'

Zane sent out Raticate. Jolteon couldn't move after pouring all its energy into Hyper Beam. Raticate pummelled it down with Return. It sprang back. Jolteon was the first Pokémon, as an Eevee from Professor Mesquite, Parvor obtained on the Gym Challenge. Mudsdale, Cacturne and Sandslash were already with him, but his bond with Jolteon was equally strong. Everyone watching was impressed. Reuniclus knocked Hakamo-o out. Jolteon's Shadow Ball flung it suddenly to the floor. Zane cheered, but it was too late. Reuniclus fainted. His friends saw uncertainty flicker in his eyes. Amber knew he was questioning whether he was good enough if he could be backed into a corner by Parvor... but his opponent wasn't weak anymore. There was no shame even in losing to him. Though Raticate's Super Fang left a gaping wound in Jolteon's side, it plodded back. Zane sent out his final Pokémon, Lucario. Jolteon zapped it with Thunderbolt before Raticate finally knocked it unconscious. Zane's cheeks puffed out.