Chapter 53: Family Feuds

There was no response from the phone Lyndon slipped to Alfie. He was late, or the phone had been discovered. On Lyndon's P★DA, his mom repeatedly texted to ask if he was alright. The latest message was different.

I didn't realise Rosen was her. I'm sorry. If you need me I'm here

He picked it up to reply. Then a call jingled from his laptop. He threw the P★DA down and answered... but it wasn't Alfie. It was Ardos. He still wore the green and yellow escape risk uniform that clashed with his greying blue hair.

'Did you kill him or something?'

'We've been searched!'

He scowled. 'What prompted this?!'

'Brynlee kidnapped some cops and got us exposed. They're all fucking useless.'

'But they are commanded by you! Take responsibility and fix this, you foolish boy!'

Lyndon hated talking to Ardos. At least Alfie pretended to be nice.

'If I was there, Cipher would be thriving! Call Lumir! Now!'

He reached for his P★DA. Please come to my office now. Ardos seethed when he yawned.

'Y'know, Ardos, you're not here because you don't even try to hide that you're a fucking psychopath–'

'You are a carbon copy of your insufferable father!'

'And in case you've forgotten, I didn't recruit those idiots. You recruited Znider.'

'Znider kept Cipher alive after I was jailed!'

'Until he had his Pokémon stolen by children. The others were already there when I got promoted and you insisted they stayed. Talking to you is a waste of time.'

Someone knocked. Gourgeist waddled to open the door. Lumir nervously stepped in. He sat on the chair Lyndon pulled from under a cluttered table.

'Lumir!'

He fought to stop his face falling. Lyndon thought Lumir wanted to speak to his dad and that he was doing him a favour, passing on news of him. He wasn't a good liar when he got angry. Ardos always made him angry.

'This idiot tells me we've been exposed. To what extent? By whom? Will it require us to postpone our escape?'

'Most likely, Master Ardos. Brynlee failed to communicate with the Grand Master before kidnapping two International Police officers and the NCPD chief. Rosen Raco has not helped our cause. Her travelling to Motostoke–'

'Who is she?'

'The Commander who–'

'Laila's killer,' Lyndon interrupted, 'She's no longer a member of Cipher.'

'I see... why is she here?'

'I don't know and I don't care to. Let Fayruz or whatever his name is put her in her place.'

'I was going to ask if either of you have arranged your flights, but perhaps that won't be needed.'

'Excuse me?'

Lyndon straightened from his slumped position where his chin rested lethargically on his hand.

'Yes, I have booked my flights. And Lumir's. Obviously it'll be needed! Even if I hadn't booted her, that whack job knows nothing about our plan and could fuck it all up! Do you have any idea what you're saying?!'

Something clattered. Ardos glanced up. 'Someone's heard us! Get a handle on your emotions, boy!'

The call abruptly ended. Lyndon pulled his laptop towards him. He began to type.