Chapter 27: Like Fool's Gold

It was Amber's turn next. As staff walked her to the battlefield, she saw that reporter questioning Parvor with a hand over her nose. A Gym Trainer asked to see her all access pass.

'I'm with the University of–'

'I don't care if you're Cail's mom! No pass, no permission to hang around back here!'

The introductory fanfare resounded. Amber found she was frozen in place, listening. The Gym Trainer had to back off. He was needed on the battlefield, too.

Amber was excited for these battles. She didn't mind accepting TRs from Raihan and Olivia, because they weren't related to her – well, he was her godfather, but no-one really talked about it – and they were genuinely impressed by her growth. She couldn't wait to try out her new moves against a Gym Leader. Charizard practiced its Dragon Pulse on the first Trainer's Deino. Sandslash practiced Drill Run on his Pawniard. They high-fived Amber between battles when she praised their one-hit KOs. She was confident when Cail loped on.

'That scowl says you just want to battle already. All right, little Leon! I, Cail, will show you my thoroughly refined power! Let's roll, Houndoom! Krokorok!'

'Ga'an, Charizard and Sandslash! Charizard, Air Slash! Sandslash, Swords Dance!'

Houndoom lunged at Sandslash. Fire Fang was doubly effective. Sandslash fainted before it could even move. Amber was stunned. After Zane's win, she didn't expect Cail's Pokémon to be that strong. Air Slash flung Houndoom into the air, tearing at its black fur, but it didn't stumble when it landed. Krokorok used Swagger, confusing Charizard. Amber withdrew Charizard and sent out Dragonair and Espeon.

'Dragonair, Thunder Wave!'

Cail predicted the switch. Krokorok used Swagger again, on Dragonair, as Houndoom sank its fangs into Espeon's lilac fur with Bite. Dragonair's weak jolt of electricity paralysed Houndoom. It was slowed on the next turn. Espeon attacked with Dazzling Gleam while Dragonair, fighting through confusion with Amber's frantic encouragement, knocked it out with Dragon Tail. Krokorok used Swagger on Espeon. They were both confused. Cail sent out Shiftry. Amber withdrew Dragonair for Lurantis. Espeon hurt itself in confusion. Shiftry's Shadow Ball knocked it out. Krokorok confused Lurantis. Amber sent Charizard back out.

'Come on, Lurantis! You can do it! Get rid of that Krokorok with Leaf Blade! I know you can do it! And Charizard... for good measure, you attack it, too! Flamethrower!'

Lurantis stumbled before slashing at Krokorok. It was a critical hit. It fainted. Amber cheered. Charizard directed its Flamethrower at Shiftry instead. It was burned, but hung on. Amber yelled as encouragement that they could take it out on the next turn, but Cail must have predicted that, too. Shiftry used Explosion. It glowed white and shattered. Shock waves shot through the colosseum. Fans screamed. Charizard and Lurantis were flung high into the air. Amber knelt, using the floor for balance, as she returned them seconds before they hit scattering fans. Cail chuckled to himself. They each had one Pokémon left. He sent out Honchkrow. Amber sent out Dragonair.

'Come on, Dragonair! Twister!'

Honchkrow's Astonish was weak, but left Dragonair flinching and unable to attack.

How am I getting Cail-ed when Zane didn't? I know he's supposedly the most infuriating Gym Leader, but Zane just mowed him down! Did I get cocky? Or did Zane really learn that much from training with Dad?

Honchkrow used Swagger. Dragonair was confused again. Amber silently willed Dragonair not to succumb to confusion, but she was panicking. Her Pokémon felt it. Dragonair hurt itself, flinging itself into the air with Twister instead of Honchkrow.