Chapter 16: A Familiar Name

Amber and Seth waited with Trip for Cassia. There was no Pickaxe Badge on her necklace when she emerged. She lost. Vana didn't speak as harshly as she did to Zane. She simply advised Cassia to visit the Move Tutor at Mt. Battle so Poipole could learn Dragon Pulse and evolve.

Eating burritos on the sidewalk in Quartz Town, Seth scrolled through the day's Pokémon news. Parvor beat Hebon, as did two others. One dropped out. They knew before the internet told them that Lumir got his Pickaxe Badge, because they saw him get off a local bus. It was pinned to his jacket.

'I feel a bit bad for him,' Cassia said, 'Should I be offering him a lift?'

Seth and Trip shook their heads. Amber was surprised. It wasn't like Cassia to take pity on a random stranger.

'Oi! Lumir!'

It startled him. He turned as if expecting a heckler. Cassia waved. He uncertainly approached.

'Is there... something I can assist you with?'

'Just saw you getting off the bus and wondered if you need a lift. We're off to Mt. Battle.'

'Well, I certainly appreciate the offer... but I was planning to rest tonight. I live here in Quartz Town.'

He hesitated. 'My home is... well, humble, but... if you'd be willing to set off tomorrow, I could return the favour and offer you a floor to sleep on.'

Seth glanced worriedly at Trip. They seemed to silently agree Lumir was shady. Yet he seemed so innocent and lonely to Amber... and Cassia, apparently, because she'd accepted.

'We were just gonna go to the fossil shop. D'you mind?'

That was the first time they really saw Lumir smile. 'I may have to join you. I love the fossil shop!'

He held up Omanyte's Poké Ball. 'I got my Omanyte there. I have an annual museum pass, if you'd like to get a fossil restored.'

'Oh, great. You're my kind of guy.'

'The shop's quite hard to find. I'll show you.'

Cassia tossed the remains of her burrito in the nearest bin. They began to walk. Trip hissed that he could have been taking them anywhere. Maybe he was right. Lumir led them through shadowy, garbage-scented alleys. Turning at a dusty parking lot, he began to climb a rickety staircase. Amber squinted. Taped in the windows above were photos of fossil Pokémon. It was the shop.

A beaten fan feebly attempted to cool the stuffy air, scented by old paper. Shelves were packed with carefully labelled rocks, minerals and fossils. Cassia fervently discussed them with Lumir. He gushed about how much he loved Omanyte. Cassia was almost sold. A Water-type would be a good addition to her team... but then something else caught her eye. She picked up a chunk of amber.

'Excuse me?'

The shopkeeper glanced up from his book. 'Hey there... I didn't even hear y'all come in. Can I help?'

'This is Old Amber, right?'

'Oh, yeah. You'll get an Aerodactyl from that.'

'Then I'll take this one, please. It's a bargain!'

'Are you sure?' Lumir asked, 'If you're short of money–'

'Nah. I'm good. Guess I'm like my mom and dad... can't resist a rock that's kind of a dragon.'

Amber bought an amber pendant, just because it was her name. Lumir couldn't resist buying a Root Fossil, even though the shopkeeper reminded him he had one already. Seth considered a Claw Fossil, then remembered he was out of healing items. Trip just looked uncomfortable. What was it his grandma thought about Lumir? Amber wanted to ask, but now they were with him, she hardly could. Cassia drove them back to the lab to have her fossil restored. Lumir went in with his museum pass. He returned proudly holding a Poké Ball. Cassia cooed over her new Aerodactyl, though it wasn't as happy to see her – or any humans – as she was to see it. She wanted to leave it out, but when it tore off one of Amber's sleeves, she reluctantly returned it to its Poké Ball.