Chapter 8: Gateon Colosseum

A red sunset lengthened shadows over Gateon Port when the new Trainers reached the outskirts. Amber was used to walking. She often joined her parents and their Hiker friend Herman on long hikes. Her friends were not. Their feet were covered in painful, splattering blisters. Exhausted, they boarded the first local bus they saw into the city centre.

Approaching the tacky hotel, Wingull Lodge, Cassia froze. The van was in the parking lot. She hesitated. Then she grabbed her keys, stabbing the button to unlock the doors. Tyrunt charged after her. She yanked the back doors open.

'That's my van, you little shits! Don't even think about driving!'

Her father's Flygon was curled up inside. It blinked bewilderedly.

'What are you...?'

A familiar voice laughed. Raihan was talking to Abbey on the sidewalk. Cassia's eyes widened.

'What... happened?'

'We almost got blown up and owe the rental company P1,000,000, but we got your van back.'

He nudged her tense shoulder. 'Lock it next time, will you?'

'Who stole it?!'

'A pair of opportunists. And then...'

Abbey trudged over. 'So glad you're all safe. Well... you mustn't tell Leon, because he doesn't need the stress, but... remember when we moved from our flat, Amber? And we had all the curtains shut?'

'Yeah?'

Zane flopped down onto the curb. Everyone grimaced when he removed his dusty trainers and socks to admire his blisters.

'Well, it was partly because this woman moved in over the road. Your dad went out with her for a couple of months, like, 23 years ago and she kidnapped him when he ended it.'

'What? Why?!'

It was utterly bizarre to Amber that anyone, let alone so many people, fancied her dad.

'Well, we thought she was long gone, but she was taking pictures of us yesterday. Then she followed us, blew up our rental car and stole the van we'd just got back. She thought your dad owned it.'

Raihan nodded. 'Yet another person disappointed I wasn't Leon. Story of my life!'

'So, anyway, she's still out there. Her name is April. She's a sociology lecturer at the University of Wyndon. She isn't much of a Trainer, but she's got a pet Purrloin and bought some Electrode. Please be careful.'

'Not to worry!' Zane announced, 'No-one will get past me! Hey, check out my new partners!'

Abbey was glad for the distraction. She went to her room to fetch him a Sun Stone. Weary Cassia checked in. The receptionist watched a little worriedly as Zane excitedly had Sunkern evolve into Sunflora in the lobby. Then its petals closed up and it fell asleep. He was disappointed. Amber turned down the evolution stones her mother offered. She wanted to do all of this herself.

Zane rushed to plug in his phone charger by one of their room's two double beds. He impatiently waited for Pokémon news to load.

'Big-Head Bianka has already got her Machine Badge...'

'Of course she has.'

Amber thought she was merely annoyed by remembering Bianka, but when her voice came out as an uncertain, shaky squeak and Cassia asked if she was alright, she wasn't sure. She felt suddenly sick.

'I think I'm tired.'

She set an alarm, because Zane would probably forget. Before her turn in the shower came, she fell asleep where her head rested beside Eevee on the stained headboard. The alarm went off at 8AM. Amber found Cassia had gently nudged her onto the pillow. She was already awake, feeding the Pokémon. Sunflora was glued to the light seeping around the curtains.