Chapter 114: Seeing the Back of Orre

No-one managed to defeat Champion Zane. Bianka made it past Seth, but she returned to Gateon Port a challenger. Zane's photo joined those of the most esteemed residents of the Pokémon HQ Lab: Michael, Jovi, their parents Lily and Jude and Professor Krane. Lily's praise was as rare as ever. She still managed a smile and 'congratulations' for Zane. Her harsh schedules were Lumir's unexpected new challenge, but he didn't mind. He could barely believe he was seeing his own reflection when a content young man in a lab coat smiled back at him.

Blusix's title was officially handed over to Wyatt. As Gym Leader of The Under, he would give out the Crystal Ball Badge. Miror. B was distraught. He thought this was finally the end for his disco. Blusix was exasperated.

'Why d'you have to torture Gym Challengers?! Can't you just open a proper disco? My brothers can help you. They run their own business in Phenac. Hexagon Coffee.'

Vana had a better idea. She entrusted the Desert Lab Gym's keys to his most promising student – Cassia. Before long, every bulky Rock-type Pokémon was dancing. Cassia trained with Vana and Olivia to develop a Gym Leader's team as challenging as their predecessors. Fans eagerly awaited the Gym's Rotogram updates posted by Raihan.

The experienced Elite Four were mentors to Seth. He climbed Mt. Battle, sleeping between areas in the break rooms, until he won 100 battles in a row to be awarded the fifth star on his Trainer Card. After all... that new Rock-type Gym Leader was gunning for him. He couldn't let Cassia get ahead.

A new Gym Challenge was beginning when Amber sat in the back of Trip's new car with Camden. They drove to Phenac. Lyndon awaited them with a shopping trolley. Amber already called him 'Dad.'

'Did you steal that trolley, Dad?'

He winked. 'You don't think the ex-Grand Master of Cipher is pure and innocent, do you?'

They piled it high with their belongings and sent it up in the elevator to be pushed in to a cramped flat. The Phenac Falinks coach met them in the parking lot.

'So you've played a few games with Pangoro since the injury, yeah?'

'Yeah. I've done pretty well... but I'm not gonna lie, I have a long way to go.'

'We all do. Don't you worry, #11. We'll get you back in shape.'

They shook hands. Trip broke down in Amber's arms once they locked the door. Every time someone asked why he dropped out, he told them he'd rather play football, but he wasn't sure until then that he ever could. Amber secured two jobs. She didn't tell her barista bosses, Yellosix and Browsix, that the second one was as a sewage worker. Her friends were aghast.

'Is that really the only job out there?!'

Cassia shook her head. 'Why don't you become a Gym Leader? Or nab that title off Chobin? You're strong enough.'

Amber was baffled. Trip laughed. He knew she wanted that job more than the one at Hexagon Coffee, because it was an experience. Besides, without a fearless Trainer to keep the increasingly strong Grimer invading the sewers at bay, Phenac City had a problem.

'You know what?' Cassia told Trip, 'I was jealous back in the day, but you can keep her.'

Trip watched with a smile when she and Charizard took off in their stained hard hats and overalls. That was the girl he fell in love with. He didn't want it any other way.

Not everyone remained in high spirits. Fayiz barely left his room. Whether a Cipher member escaped with Inteleon or its body was decomposing somewhere, his beloved Pokémon and best friend was gone. His friends put up 'missing' posters. ONBS even offered a reward for its return, but the posters faded and the appeals became redundant. No-one knew where Inteleon was. Luke defeated four Gym Leaders at Wyndon Stadium to win Fayiz's abandoned title. It only took three weeks of fame for him to email otherwise unreachable Fayiz, apologising for dismissing his friend's distress, but he never received a reply. Fayiz wouldn't answer anyone. Leon and Abbey packed his Ice Face suitcase for him. He didn't care whether he returned to Galar or not. Once he sat against the wall at the airport gate, surrounded by chattering friends, he was so annoyed by the noise he wished he'd stayed in his room in Orre.