Chapter 90: Time Restarted

The Swords of Justice were purified. After the abuse they endured and weeks spent thrashing in the Purify Chamber, they were nervous and struggled to walk. Zane's enthusiasm refreshed Keldeo. He ran with it through the woods surrounding the Pokémon HQ Lab. Cassia spent time indoors with Terrakion first. It shared her enthusiasm for rocks and fossils. They looked at geography books to inspire it to discover the outside world again. Seth gently comforted Virizion. His Pokémon helped support it for hikes to the best viewpoints, led by Amber and Cobalion. She had new skills missing when she first caught Cobalion: a mother's love, patience and forgiveness. It wasn't so unlike parenting. Cobalion awoke in the night, distressed by nightmares and desperate to escape the apartment or spare room at the lab. She sang it back to sleep as she did to Camden. As their leader who should have protected them, it was the most upset and frustrated of them all; but as it began to trust Amber, any human, it also began to believe it had the right to be reunited with its friends and to protect Pokémon again.

The Swords of Justice met with their Trainers in Agate Village. Wes waited at the Relic Stone. Still a Shadow Trainer, Rui sat slumped on the grass. Seth noticed nervously that she was no longer restrained.

'We can't tie her up now,' Wes said, 'That's like saying we don't believe she's still in there. It's saying we don't trust her. Now, Seth... Keldeo, Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion... are you all ready?'

Amber glanced at Cobalion as its friends glanced at it for orders – except Keldeo who, like Zane, obeyed no-one but itself. Cobalion nodded. Amber reached to give Seth's hand a reassuring squeeze. He had to feel, then, like Abbey felt when Leon laid unconscious, possibly dying, in that same spot while they desperately hoped Celebi would save him. Wes knew that, too.

'I know you can do this, Seth. You're Eagun's only living descendant who can.'

'I mean... Suzie probably could...'

'No. You're not just a relative. You're a Trainer worthy of the same respect as your great-grandpa.'

'But what... what am I gonna say?'

'I've told you. Say what you feel is right.'

Wes gently coaxed Rui towards the Relic Stone. It glowed softly green.

'See. Celebi is right here. Go on.'

Seth anxiously knelt. The stone continued to glow, even as Rui struggled to wriggle free of her husband's grip.

'Um... Celebi... please... we desperately need your help. You've watched over this forest for so long... over all of us in Orre for so long... you've saved the lives of so many Shadow Pokémon and even people... and I know you must be tired of humans causing so much trouble. But please. I swear to you – we want to make a better Orre. Please. Help us and the Swords of Justice repair everywhere... and save all the Pokémon... affected by these shadows. And... please help my mom.'

He smiled sadly. Shrieking, she tried to lash out. Wes grimaced as he held her back.

'You know her. I know she's been forced into this terrible state... but she's still the same girl you saw day after day, trailing tirelessly after my dad... Wes... coming here to purify those poor Shadow Pokémon. You even met when they called you with the Time Flute. I don't have a Time Flute and I'm not Eagun... but now my mom needs you. Orre needs you. Please, Celebi...'

Nothing happened. The silence was broken only by gently fluttering leaves and the scuffle between Wes and Rui. Fear flickered in his eyes. He couldn't hold her back forever. The mossy stone was cool on Seth's knees. Sunlight, breaking through rustling branches, overpowered the Relic Stone's ethereal glow. He wanted to give up and run away. He felt like a failure. A hoof softly brushed against his leg. Virizion knelt beside him. Its friends followed. Their Trainers respectfully bowed their heads. It was an other-worldly scene, turned crudely human by the stream of curses Rui's state prompted.