Chapter 2: A Bad Start

Phenac Stadium's shutters rattled. Trainers scrambled to their feet, but nothing happened. There was a lull. Amber crammed the belongings and leftover food she hastily gathered into her backpack. It was already too full. The shutters opened suddenly. If Cassia hadn't caught Amber, she'd have been trampled down. The stampede carried them like a wave into the turnstiles. Zane already held his ticket. Cassia was so squashed into a security guard's belly she couldn't quite reach the ticket in her pocket. Amber grabbed it for her. Frantic arms waved tickets over their heads. It was a free-for-all. There were somehow six people in front of even Zane. He reached to pull his friends through the tightly-packed crowd before the reception desk. Someone released a Stunky. The Trainers it sprayed refused to budge. No-one could breathe. At least Amber's dad was gone, or he'd have lectured everyone on queuing etiquette... although maybe, she thought as an elbow sank into her neck, this lot needed it.

They gasped for air when they were splayed over the desk. Staff were impassive. Ignoring Zane's complaints, they registered them in silence until they had to speak.

'Numbers? Colours?'

Zane and Cassia demanded #1 at the same time. Amber wasn't bothered. #1 was her dad's number.

'I'll take #8,' Seth said, clinging to the table for balance, 'Purple. Size XS.'

He disappeared into the locker rooms. Amber secured #13 in turquoise. Scurrying staff delivered freshly printed uniforms. Cassia had to settle for #21 in red. Zane got #99.

'That's better than #1,' he insisted, tugging at his slightly tight blue jersey, 'It's the highest number! For the highest quality challenger!'

'Get a grip.'

The jibe came from a girl in #96. Her hazel eyes swivelled to Amber.

'No secret whose kid you are. Did you have to run away from daddy, too?'

Amber was used to insults. She turned to ignore her, but she continued.

'I guess I'd run away if my dad was too busy being a victim to control his own son.'

She shrieked. Before she had time to bask in satisfaction from Amber's reaction, Charmeleon pinned her to the wall.

'Keep his name out of your mouth or you'll be sorry.'

As soon as Charmeleon released her, she sent out a Golduck and Ambipom. Amber threw her second Poké Ball. Her Alolan Sandshrew was already struggling to adjust to the heat. Ambipom's Low Kick flung it across the room. It clunked from the wall to the floor. Golduck's Hydro Pump doused Charmeleon. It hung on by sheer determination, but its Slash did little damage. Both Charmeleon and Amber were soaked. She had no other Pokémon. Onlookers pointed and laughed. Her opponent waited for her to get upset. She counted out prize money in silence. Inside, she was burning up with shame... but she knew, whether she wanted to take her dad's advice or not, he was right that defeating an infuriatingly good sport was rarely satisfying. A sharp glare stopped Zane and Cassia stepping in.

'You're pretty strong!'

She'd heard someone cheering for her. 'Bianka, was it? I bet you'll do well!'

Bianka's nose wrinkled. 'You've inherited everything but his talent. Well, you're in Orre now.'

A boy in grey stepped between them. His unruly hair was the colour of Amber's uniform.

'That's enough. What does it matter who anyone's parents are?'

Shrill whistles blew. Music boomed. The Gym Leaders and Elite Four were on the battlefield. Staff, pulling open frosted glass doors, yelled at challengers to form two orderly lines. Cassia squeezed Amber's shoulder.