Chapter 76: Champion Vs. Grand Master

Fayiz still remembered facing Tatsuko on the pitch at Wyndon Stadium. She gave him more trouble than Champion Raihan. In a crumbling cavern below the Orre region, he had no idea what to expect, but it was far more terrifying. He sent out Excadrill and Eiscue. Lyndon sent out Gourgeist and his own Sylveon.

'...You only have five Pokémon? This won't be fair...'

'I'm going to defeat you anyway! And that will be a "sign" to you to stop this madness!'

'If that's what you want... for what it's worth, I don't even know what that Pokémon with the ice cube on its head is.'

'That's Eiscue! Ga'an! Belly Drum! Excadrill, Iron Head!'

Excadrill slammed into Sylveon. Gourgeist disappeared from view. Sylveon's Moonblast was swallowed by Eiscue's shattering ice cube, before Belly Drum cut its health to maximise its attack. It was faster now. Iron Head knocked Sylveon out. Excadrill used Gourgeist's absence to power up with Swords Dance. Gourgeist reappeared. It crashed into Eiscue with Phantom Force. Lyndon sent out Kingdra. Eiscue fired Icicle Spear at Gourgeist. It was repeatedly stabbed by sharp, icy shards. Fayiz was unnerved when it didn't faint. How strong were Lyndon's Pokémon?! Excadrill's High Horsepower rammed Kingdra to the ground, but it floated up to blast Scald back. Excadrill shook it off. Gourgeist disappeared again. Eiscue and Excadrill attacked Kingdra together. It fainted. Gourgeist knocked Eiscue instantly unconscious.

Fayiz sent out Moltres. Lyndon sent out Houndoom. He lethargically held up his Mega Bracelet. Houndoom's horns grew to point up. It used Nasty Plot. Moltres buried Gourgeist in Fiery Wrath. It fainted. Excadrill charged at Houndoom. High Horsepower struck it down, but it sprang back. Its furious Flamethrower roasted Excadrill.

'Come on, mate! You can handle dad's G-Max Wildfire! You can handle this!'

It was pure loyalty and determination that steeled Excadrill to the pain. Moltres waved its great black wings, alight with alluring pink flames, to sweep Houndoom up in Hurricane, but the wild winds missed. Excadrill was weakened by a burn... and Lyndon's Pokémon were as loyal as his opponent's. Houndoom weathered High Horsepower.

Lyndon sent out Braviary. Flamethrower knocked wincing Excadrill out. Despite its weakened state, Houndoom dodged Hurricane. It lifted a rock, almost flinging it into motionless Lyndon, instead. He didn't even blink. Braviary's wings flapped to bring Rock Slide tumbling down to bury Moltres. It burst out with an echoing cry. Fayiz sent out Slurpuff. It was instantly pelted by Houndoom's bubbling Sludge Bomb. Hurricane finally swept Houndoom off its feet and crashing down from the wall. It fainted. Fayiz was relieved. That was Lyndon's ace Pokémon down. Now there were just two left...

Rock Slide crashed back down onto Fayiz's Pokémon. Slurpuff flinched. It couldn't move. His nails anxiously dug into his palms. There was so much, including his pride as a Trainer, at stake here... but maybe it was delusional to believe simply beating Lyndon would make any difference. He didn't know. Lyndon sent out Crobat. It shot at Slurpuff, sinking in its sharp teeth with Poison Fang. Slurpuff fainted. Moltres bombarded Braviary with Fiery Wrath. It was motionless on the dusty floor. Its wings twitched. Then its eyes snapped open and it flew back into battle. Moltres was buried by Rock Slide. This time, it didn't re-emerge. Fayiz was down to his last Pokémon, Vikavolt. When was the last time he was left with only one Pokémon? That battle with Tatsuko? Effortlessly winning got boring, but there was nothing enjoyable about this challenge.

'Ga'an, Vikavolt! Thunderbolt!'

Crobat and Braviary pinned it down with Brave Bird. Fayiz's voice reverberated.

'You can do this! I know you can!'

Electricity burst from the heap. Crobat was struck brutally down. The critical hit knocked it out. Fayiz could barely breathe. It was Vikavolt vs. Braviary... and Braviary was faster. His only chance of winning was for Vikavolt to dodge Braviary's reckless Brave Bird.