Chapter 113: The Hall of Fame

Raticate's eyes weakly opened. Vander gave it a few seconds. He expected them to close again. A foot scratched the floor. Raticate could barely stand... but it was conscious.

'Charizard is unable to battle. Challenger Amber is defeated by Champion Zane!'

Amber wasn't angry or even slightly disappointed. Her face lit up. She strode to shake her best friend's hand as the nurse healed their Pokémon. He managed a relieved smile.

'I know all you wanted was to battle Michael... but I'm really glad it was you here with me, Zane.'

'No... I'm really glad you were here, too, Amber... and I would've been glad it was you... even if I lost.'

'Congratulations, Champion.'

They pulled each other into a teary-eyed hug. Their Pokémon gathered around them. Sylveon raised its paw to shake Charizard's hand. It turned to bump noses with Raticate. Lucario ruffled the soft fur on Espeon's head. When Michael turned the key to open the gate separating the VIP box from the field, their fellow challengers and Jovi ran after him to crowd around their friends. Jovi stopped, smiling, at Michael's side.

'You lost, big brother!'

He tutted, but he was smiling, too. 'I noticed.'

'But y'know what? I think dad is as proud of you right now as he ever was.'

Failing to hide her overflowing pride, she turned to Zane. 'And you, my little troublemaker... I looked up to Michael my whole life and now my own son's gone and beaten him. Proud is an understatement!'

As she once clung to Michael's hand outside the Pokémon HQ Lab, she clasped both of Zane's. He was taller than her, now. She looked up at him with that same wide-eyed admiration. He hugged her tight. Only he heard what she said next.

'But you know I would've been just as proud if you never even became a Trainer, right?'

'I know, mom. That's how I'm here now.'

Fresh tears spurted. Jovi stealthily wiped them with her sleeve, because she knew he wouldn't want the crowd to see.

'It wasn't just Mikey who inspired me. It was you... and dad. When I was all alone on my adventure... feeling like the most worthless excuse for a Trainer in the world... it was you I thought of. Believing in me no matter what. Being proud no matter what. And I knew... all I had to do was my best. You're not a Trainer. But you taught me to show that same love to my Pokémon. That's how we're here.'

Jovi stepped back. Her beaming eyes fell on Amber.

'What a badass! Taking on Cipher seven months pregnant – and beating them! I'm just as proud of you, Amber. And you, Seth. And Cassia! Parvor! Jaxon! All of you! How's your Pokédex coming along, Lumir?'

Everyone was surprised. Even Zane wasn't aware Jovi ever gave out Pokédexes. Lumir, on the other hand, seemed surprised only he had one. He took out a shiny red device that flipped open like a little laptop. Jovi squinted at it.

'190 caught... but 199 seen... Lumir! This is incredible! Do you know what this means? You've seen every Pokémon in Orre! You're the first Trainer to ever fill up an Orre Pokédex!'

'Isn't that merely because you only built some recently...?'

'No, no. Even my big brother here didn't fill up his Strategy Memo for me! Nor did Wes! Y'know why I gave you my first Pokédex, Lumir? Because I knew you'd do well... but even I didn't forsee this level of awesome! You don't fancy being a Pokémon Professor, do you? I could do with another assistant!'