Chapter 9: Challenger Zane Vs. Gym Leader Emili

'Welcome, everyone, to the second day of Gym battles here at Gateon Colosseum!'

Vibrant spotlight illuminated the Gym Guide. 'Today, we have six Trainers facing off for the Machine Badge! Are you ready to welcome our first challenger?'

The sold-out crowd of 20,000 was deafening. Smiling, the Gym Guide continued.

'He is #11! Challenger Trip! His first opponent will be Gym Trainer Turold! Let the battles begin!'

Trip strode with a calm smile onto the battlefield. From the opposing side came a boy in the Gym's colours, yellow and silver. His uniform's padding expanded his lanky frame. They faced each other before turning to take their positions. Trip clearly practiced this. There was no hesitation in his long strides.

Leon blew his whistle. Turold sent out Blitzle and Shinx. Trip sent out Roselia and Cubone. Roselia chipped away at its opponents with Toxic while Cubone took them out with Stomping Tantrum. He effortlessly worked his way through the four Gym Trainers to reach his final opponent, Gym Leader Emili. Amber read the interview in her program between battles.

ONBS: Ever feel like you got the short straw? Being the first Gym Leader, you take on all the rookies who don't make it much further.

Emili: No way! I love it. It's a challenge! I want those rookies to feel like they've really accomplished something so they're motivated to carry on. And it's great for me, too. Battling with weak Pokémon, I've learned to draw out the best in any Pokémon, weak or strong – so when I battle at full power, I'm near impossible to beat! Unless you're Justy...

'I know she loves it,' Amber said, 'But it's a hard job. Training all those different Pokémon for Trainers of different levels. Then judging the opponent so you know which ones to use...'

A band from a local high school played a dramatic fanfare. Cheers erupted. Emili sprinted out onto the battlefield. She waved and fist-bumped front row fans through the glass. With a shock of messily pinned-up red hair and infectious smile, she embodied the Electric-type Pokémon she trained. Trip was unruffled by her imposing entrance.

'Well, Challenger Trip, I'm sure you know how hard we work here at Gateon Colosseum to push new Trainers to their limits. But that didn't stop you mowing down my teammates! Now show me, Gym Leader Emili, what you can do!'

Emili sent out Raichu and Emolga. Roselia was flattened by Emolga's Air Slash. Raichu used Yawn. Cubone became drowsy. Stomping Tantrum didn't knock Raichu out. For the first time, though he quickly composed himself, Trip's eyes widened in panic. Roselia poisoned Emolga. It was knocked out by Signal Beam on the next turn. Cubone knocked Raichu out before falling asleep. Emili sent out Pachirisu. Trip sent out Eevee. He used Cubone's turn to spray at its wounds with a Super Potion. Pachirisu's Mud Slap lowered Eevee's accuracy. It still rammed Emolga with Tackle.

Trip called Cubone's name to wake it up. Emolga zapped Eevee with Shock Wave. It fought through pain and the mud in its eyes to pull Emolga to the floor. The poison finished it off. Pachirisu aimed Mud Slap at Cubone. Emili sent out her final Pokémon, Tynamo.

Cubone's Fling failed. Ripples of confusion spread. Cheers turned mocking. Emili, smiling wryly, knew what Trip was planning. The failed move doubled Stomping Tantrum's power. Pachirisu fainted. Tynamo's weak Spark knocked Eevee out. Trip looked nervous when he grasped his last Poké Ball. He sent out Tentacool. The Water- and Poison-type was weak to electricity. Still, the combined power of Cubone and Tentacool was too much for little Tynamo. Leon didn't need to check on the Pokémon to know the result.

'Challenger Trip wins!'

The band's victory fanfare congratulated him. Emili's smile was magnified on screens as she produced a shiny, cog-shaped badge. She took Trip's hand to proudly hold it up. His grandma, Rosen, screamed and waved her banner until her voice was hoarse. It was emotional to watch. Amber remembered a few Gym battles – including her brother's – live in Galar but here, knowing what the relatively new Pokémon League meant to Orre with its troubled history, it was even more rousing.

The next challenger, Parvor, was defeated by Turold. Despite Emili running out to yell at the crowd to be respectful, Parvor was booed off the battlefield. She was furious. It was understandable. She worked tirelessly to ensure her challengers were inspired, not discouraged, but her 'fans' didn't care. Leon comforted Parvor. Amber knew he was telling the young Trainer that now there was nowhere to go but back up. A smile broke through Parvor's tears.

'Gateon Gym is tied with its Challengers at 1-1! Can their next opponent handle the storm? It's #99 – Challenger Zane!'

The door swung open. Jovi and Hop, out of breath, rushed in to take seats behind their son's friends. They only just arrived in time. Zane had probably practiced his entrance more than Trip, but he still stumbled in unconcealed excitement as he ran out. Sylveon had no trouble overpowering the Gym Trainers. He switched his other Pokémon in and out to gain experience in the meantime. His friends still weren't sure if he could beat Emili.

'Nice work, Challenger Zane!' she announced as they took their positions, 'I can see how much you love Pokémon. I haven't seen a challenger this enthusiastic in forever! Now – show me how much you want that Machine Badge!'

She sent out Emolga and Tynamo. Zane sent out Bidoof and Sunflora. Emolga's Shock Wave fried Bidoof's fur. Tynamo hit Sunflora with Tackle. It used Growth, heightening its attacking power. Bidoof curled up to hurtle at Emolga. Rollout was super effective. Emolga was flung, wincing, to the floor. It whipped up Air Slash to tear at Sunflora on the next turn. Tynamo's Thunder Wave paralysed Bidoof. Sunflora latched onto the little Pokémon to suck out its energy with Mega Drain. As Tynamo fainted, Sunflora's energy was restored. Zane bellowed encouragement to Bidoof. It stiffly rolled out to whack Emolga. This time, Emolga didn't recover. Emili sent out Raichu and Pachirisu. Cassia gaped.

'He's... actually doing really well. I guess really believing in crappy Pokémon counts for something...'

Raichu took Bidoof down with Shock Wave. Pachirisu hurled mud at Sunflora. Mud Slap wasn't effective, but the dirt in Sunflora's eyes caused Mega Drain to miss. Zane sent out Wooper. Raichu's Yawn made it drowsy while Pachirisu paralysed Sunflora with Nuzzle. It couldn't move. Pachirisu was splattered by Wooper's Mud Shot, but it hung on.

Both of Zane's Pokémon were pummelled by Raichu's Swift. Sunflora fainted. Pachirisu targeted Wooper with Mud Slap. Wooper's attack missed. Then it fell asleep. Zane sent out Rattata. He yelled at Wooper to wake up. When both opponents attacked Rattata, it fainted before getting an attack in. Only Sylveon and Wooper were left. Raichu zapped Sylveon. Pachirisu kicked a final helping of Mud Slap into its eyes before Wooper's Mud Shot knocked it out. Dazzling Gleam blinded Raichu. It managed to knock Wooper out with Swift, but Sylveon was still standing to hit Raichu with a final Dazzling Gleam. The whistle blew.

'Challenger Zane wins!'

Leon couldn't help sounding proud of his nephew. Emili beamed. She thanked Zane for the most enjoyable battle of the Gym Challenge so far. He wore an ear-to-ear grin as he accepted his first Badge. Cassia shook her head.

'I don't know if that was sheer force of "I have more Pokémon than you," but that was pretty good going!'

Leon was apparently thinking the same thing, because he appeared to be both congratulating and lecturing Zane when he passed. Zane proudly thrust his Machine Badge into his uncle's face. He ran, almost skipping, back to the locker room.

Amber stood. 'Well, if I can beat Zane and he can beat Emili... then I should be able to beat Emili, too.'