Chapter 101: Goodnight

One camera was salvaged by someone at Cipher's ruined lab, but it wasn't the police. Ardos listened to Anabel's call to Bob with a scowl. He'd only just found a place to rest and restore his supplies... and now he had to leave again. Though at least the money he demanded from Gromlet would pay for a taxi to Quartz Town so he could retrieve his original Pokémon. Only two of his Shadow Pokémon were still alive. He called Delibird Taxis. Before Bob arrived, he glanced at the cameras to check Anabel was still dealing with April; then he slipped out of a fire exit and into the car.

***

April's mugshot slid from a printer at Pyrite Police Station. Gromlet's followed. Johnson locked their cells.

'I demand to speak to my husband!'

'Your husband has filed for divorce.'

'What?!'

'That's what you get for stalking another guy on the other side of the world. Pow.'

She flopped back onto the rickety bed. He was lying. He had to be. Her husband never knew about the man in red. He adored her. Divorce would never occur to him. Anabel arrived that evening. She escorted handcuffed April to Looker's rental car.

'Where are we going?!'

'To keep my promise.'

'What about my husband? Johnson was lying, right?'

'I'm sorry, April... it's true.'

'Who told him?!'

'I don't know... perhaps he'll be willing to talk when you go home.'

'I can't go home. I'll be stuck in that manky prison forever now.'

'I've already booked your flight.'

'But Leon... that woman who calls herself a wife...'

'I'll let Mr. Fayed tell you how he feels.'

'He's being manipulated by her.'

'He's actually far healthier, mentally, than anyone gives him credit for. I doubt anyone is manipulating him. If you're willing to answer, April... I'd like to ask how you ended up at the lab.'

'I went through the tunnel with Gromlet. There was food and water there, in the dorms. I would have contacted my husband... but I didn't have a phone or any money. Gromlet still had his wallet. We had to get a taxi to Pyrite and battle to pay for that rental car. I hate battling. But at least the Shadow Pokémon made it easy. Now that bitch has even taken them!'

'They'll be returned to you once they're purified.'

Anabel refused to engage with April's complaints about Abbey. She could only hope Leon would. After all... what kind of wife was she if she still felt for a convict?

***

Leon was discharged from hospital. His heart rate was steady. Abbey worried April's arrival might upset him again, but he was unruffled as they walked Phenac City's dim streets with their Pokémon. The last light of sunset tinted the cracked ground.

'I told him.'

Leon smiled wryly. He knew long before Alfie that Abbey found she never truly let him go. They told each other everything.

'What did he say?'

'That he loves me from the bottom of his heart.'

'I called it.'