Chapter 43: Successors

Seth was aghast. Whatever he thought of his dad, he knew he couldn't be so bad deep down, because his mom loved him. She never failed to see the good in others. Without her, Cipher might still be ruling Orre. Despite destroying the Team Snagem hideout when he left, Wes didn't really know what he wanted or if he could redeem himself after being their most active and terrifying member. It was her belief that only the new Wes mattered that saved him and Orre in turn.

'But she's no Trainer...'

'Neither is April Schultz, but they've turned her into one. C'mon – let's find somewhere more private to chat. There are Cipher Peons in plain clothes all over Phenac right now...'

Michael drove. Turning a corner, they sped by three frantic people: a familiar jade-haired boy, a girl in cheerleader gear and the most familiar of all on crutches. Amber hated herself for being relieved Trip was using one of his legs again, but it wasn't hard to brush that aside when he held his own leaflets and the arrested boy was clearly his friend.

'Amber!'

She didn't hear. Jazlyn glared.

'It's literally her fault Darnell's been caught! She doesn't give a shit about you, Trip. Let's follow them. I bet that Rui's brat can see auras, too!'

Her face softened. 'And Verzant... if we catch the third Shadow Trainer...'

Trip stared pleadingly up at Wyatt. He didn't want to chase them. Seth was his friend. He adored his mom... but it was probably futile. Jazlyn's Shadow Salazzle and Darnell's Greninja bothered Wyatt. He ruthlessly roamed, snapping orders, all day. They recruited 23 people. For all his doubts, Wyatt was convincing. He shook his head. Trip was relieved.

'They're with Michael, Jaz. Good luck getting past him.'

Michael drove the van off-road through unmarked dunes. Sometimes this was where Gym Challengers gave up; thirsty, lost and delirious in the infinite barren wilderness of the Phenac Desert. It all looked the same. Phone and P★DA signal faded. That was when Cassia might have panicked, but Michael wasn't bothered. He apparently knew where he was. Zane watched him with wide eyes. Most people preferred Wes, because Michael looked and sounded too 'innocent,' but his nephew knew he'd seen it all. He knew he was the greatest Trainer in Orre. Maybe even the greatest in the world. His dad would have disagreed and sure, Leon was great too, but he'd never been the same since the accident. Hop told his son what he once felt about his older brother:

He was like a bright star, so strong I could hardly bear to look right at him. But now, I can tell just how strong he really is... and what he's got that I haven't...

Zane felt that way about his uncle. Yet in the case he now clung to was Michael's own Snag Machine. He opened it for his fifth furtive look. It had been upgraded, but it still bore scratches and a dent from Michael's journey.

He thinks I'm ready... that I'm good enough... to be what he was.

When he looked up, Michael was smiling. Zane snapped the case shut and hastily wiped his eyes with his collar. Dim light finally spilled over the horizon. Crates and wagon wheels surrounded a lonely gas station. Orange paint chipped off the recycled locomotive engine that housed it. Seth immediately recognised his dad's bizarre, one-wheeled motorbike outside. He was embarrassed of riding in the sidecar as a child. His mom never was. She still thought Wes was cool.

A pink-haired man shuffled out to light a cigarette. His brown leathers matched the harsh terrain. He waved to Michael. It was Willie. His Gym was once out in the desert he loved so much, but since Nascott Colosseum was built, it was forced to move. He cheerfully greeted the challengers.