Chapter 46: Cipher's Grand Master

Seth and his Snag Machine were on the news. People glanced at him and his friends as they watched in the café. They protectively pulled their Pokémon close. A reporter caught Wes leaving Nascott Colosseum.

'Good for him.'

'Mr. Vincent, as a member of Orre's Elite Four, don't you think some advice is–'

'My advice? Cipher tried to make me look bad, back in my day. Don't fall for the same thing twice.'

He was gone. The reporter turned back to the camera.

'It remains to be seen whether Wes, or Willie who allowed Seth to challenge him, actually understand that Cipher were protecting Brynlee's fans from him.'

'That whole thing was planned!' Zane snapped, 'Don't you think? The fake cop and the "attacker" and everything. Trying to make the police look bad and Cipher look like heroes.'

Parvor nodded. 'I was gonna help, but they just kicked me out of the way! Seth showing up worked out for them, 'cause they got to make him look bad, but... they said something about needing to report it.'

His new Road Badge was proudly pinned to his beanie hat. Seth stared down at the tablecloth decorated with road signs.

'I guess they meant the Snag Machine... but they probably suspect I can see auras by now.'

'I don't really get it. Shadow people? What even are they?'

'My parents were researching it,' Zane said, 'But they could only simulate it, obviously. They're basically like Shadow Pokémon. Heartless fighting machines.'

He glared back at the diners eyeing Seth. 'Let's get out of here.'

A moped covered in sand was parked outside the Pokémon Center. Jaxon sat cross-legged on a wooden bench inside. He was reading the biography Amber swapped for The Deoxys Files. His Umbreon snoozed beside him. The ONBS broadcast on the battered TV there was more positive. Bianka won her Pickaxe Badge. She texted Amber to say she was with two others, Reed and Kody, on the Boltund to Pyrite Town. Cail was waiting at the bus stop.

'...Interrupt our Gym Challenge coverage with breaking news...'

The cleaner groaned along with the challengers. 'Every five minutes it's breaking news! Cipher this, Cipher that! Now what?'

'In the last hour, Gateon Jail staff confirmed rumours that arrested Cipher Commander Rosen Raco has escaped.'

Jaxon glanced sharply up. He was pale. Umbreon awoke at the sound of her name.

'Raco was arrested on multiple counts of assault, kidnapping and suspected murder. There is now a heavy police presence in Gateon Port as officers search, though they warn the prisoner may have already left the city. Citizens are urged, as always, to be vigilant and call 8-100-CIPHER for non-urgent concerns, or 911 in emergencies.'

A reporter in the city centre spoke with Emili. She and her Gym Trainers were around the city to keep an eye on people. They didn't say it was because no-one trusted the police, or that people were beginning to doubt that Cipher were the bad guys, but it was obvious.

***

Trip watched the same broadcast at the Pokémon Center in Phenac. Wyatt wasn't paying attention. Since Justy walked in to heal his Pokémon and greeted Wyatt with a sad smile, he'd been frozen in place. What would Leon tell him? Trip's mind was so clogged with Cipher and guilt, he could barely remember what he or Amber looked like.