Chapter 13: Evolutions

The bottle whirled. It pointed at Cassia. She wasn't shy sober, let alone drunk.

'Dare.'

'Ga'an then,' Zane slurred, 'Spin it and you gotta kiss whoever it lands on!'

She clumsily spun it around. It rolled towards Amber. 'You don't have to!'

'You do!'

Cassia shrugged. She crawled to plant a dry kiss on Amber's lips. The bottle faced Seth next.

'Truth.'

Zane giggled. 'Who d'you fancy?'

'You can't ask every question, Zane!'

'I don't mind,' Seth said, 'Winona. Fortree City's Gym Leader.'

'I don't think I know who that is...'

He showed his P★DA wallpaper. A girl with flowing lilac hair stood with an Altaria.

'Not bad, I guess.'

Cassia nodded. 'She's pretty.'

She spun the bottle. It wobbled before pointing vaguely at Zane.

'Dare!'

There was a mischievous glint in Cassia's eyes. 'Call a rando and tell them an intimate secret.'

'Good one!' Amber snickered, 'Ga'an, Zane! Not scared, are you?'

'No way!'

He punched a random number into his phone. The code was identified as Phenac City. A man answered.

'Arreet, sir? This is Zane Mesquite Fayed! Orre's next Champion!'

'...Hello, Zane. How can I help you?'

'I'd like to tell you about the time I saw my uncle's Ursaring taking a huuuge dump outside and I thought it was a good idea to do a matching one in front of everyone at the Pokémon HQ Lab. Including some Gym Challengers!'

His friends shrieked with laughter. Even the stranger squeaked as he struggled to hold in giggles.

'Why don't you, er, get some sleep, Zane? You're going to regret this tomorrow.'

'It's all good, sir! What's your name? Can we meet up when I come to Phenac City?'

'I'm sure my kids would love to meet a Gym Challenger, Zane. My name's Kaib. But you might find you don't want to meet us by then.'

'I will! I'll put your kids on the guest list! You can tell 'em they'll be seeing the greatest match in the history of Phenac Stadium – Orre's next Champion vs. Justy! See ya soon, Kaib!'

He reached to whirl the bottle as he hung up. It pointed at Cassia again.

'I'll do another dare.'

'Do the Fast Food Dance and post it on Rotogram!'

Amber took out her phone. Zane played the accompanying song, praising various forms of fast food as metaphors for sex. Cassia's dance, imitating a jumping Spoink, quacking Ducklett and rolling Miltank, was endlessly enthusiastic. It uploaded to Rotogram while she spun the bottle. Now it was Amber's turn.

'Truth.'

Cassia cut Zane off. 'If you had to bang someone on this Gym Challenge, who would it be?'

'Er...'

Amber searched her swimming mind for an honest answer. There wasn't one.

'Trip, I guess...'