Chapter 57: Threats

Hacking Lyndon's laptop was surprisingly easy. Pierre retrieved the jailbreak plan. He saved planned speeches and a list of potential threats. It should have been a pleasant surprise... but he was uneasy. He glanced back at Jovi who, along with her friend Nett at ONBS, was trying and failing to download lists of Shadow Pokémon and Trainer targets.

'This is too easy.'

He opened the jailbreak plan. 'And this... it's like a 12 year-old kid wrote it. He's either totally stupid or he's trolling us... or them.'

'I don't think he's trolling Alfie.'

Jovi picked up her radio. 'Hop? Can you come here?'

'Coming.'

Hop was working on the Purify Chamber upstairs. Even though he and Jovi expanded it after the last Cipher incident, so it was now capable of holding 80 Shadow Pokémon at once, there were still boxes of Poké Balls upstairs. They were afraid Cipher might come to take them back. Bede replaced the receptionist as a security guard. Their best friend, Victor, was flying over to help in two days, but it wasn't impossible Cipher knew and could come before then. Hop looked exhausted when he rolled back the carpet to trudge down the stairs to the lab's secret basement.

'Yeah?'

'Could you tell Pierre what you and Lee came up with about Lyndon?'

'I mean, it's just a theory. We're not cops. Just kids who wanted their dad to love them.'

Pierre smiled. 'I'm actually not a trained hacker myself... just a kid in a bedroom with a laptop. And Leon solved the last Cipher case long before we did. Anyway. Please, go ahead.'

'Have you managed to prove he's Alfie's kid?'

'Yes. Scarlet spoke with Lyndon's mom. We've spoken to Motostoke Prison staff, too. He definitely went to Galar to meet his dad.'

'OK, so obviously, Alfie's a piece of work who doesn't care about anything but himself. She's probably told you that, too.'

'She has.'

'Yeah. So his dad doesn't give a shit and he's been in jail in Galar for half his life, anyway. His girlfriend gets brutally murdered by her own mother, who goes and takes his kid away. We know he's not over Laila and loves Trip, because there are all those photos and Lumir's basically confirmed it. There's a theme here – rejection.'

'He apparently felt abandoned by his mom, too, when she married his stepdad and they had a kid together.'

'That makes it even worse. He's feeling really rejected now. So he goes to meet his dad and Alfie, being an actor, convinces him he actually gives a shit and he needs to get him out of jail so they can take over the world and be together and even make things better. It's a possibility, right? Maybe Lyndon isn't even evil. Maybe he just wants his dad to love him and he's being used.'

Jovi nodded. 'That's what I was thinking, Pierre. Maybe it all seems half-hearted and childlike because his heart isn't really in it. What if he even wants to be caught? Like, if he knows deep down that he's delusional?'

'It's definitely possible, but...'

Pierre clicked to open the list of potential threats. 'As I suspected... the man who made this list isn't stupid.'