Chapter 95: The Skyscraper Badge

Hidden by canyon walls in the renovated Team Snagem Hideout, Eclo Gym was easy to miss. Parvor got lost on his way. Amber, Cassia and Seth were already inside, enjoying the air conditioning. The challenge was a typical Gym mission: challengers had to find their way through the maze-like building, battling Gym Trainers on the way, to find the Gym Leader's room.

'Challenger Seth!'

Seth's friends wished him luck. He nervously stood. This building was where his dad's Pokémon journey truly began. Growing to resent Team Snagem and their original mission of stealing Pokémon for Cipher, he blew up the hideout and took off with the only portable Snag Machine. It remained in tatters until it was renovated for the Gym. If that had never happened, Cipher would undoubtedly be ruling Orre. The intimidating Gym Trainers all wore unsettling smirks when they surveyed Seth. They didn't mention Wes, but he knew they wanted to. There was no time limit. He still panicked when he found himself at dead ends, or blocked off by vending machines where Skarmory perched, because he felt like he was being watched and assessed. Silver walls shone in the bright light. The bronze floor was grubby. No matter how hard the cleaners scrubbed, Skarmory droppings left harsh stains. The first-ever Snag Machine, a huge chunk of metal coated in peeling orange with robotic arms, was preserved in a glass case. It was still filled with Poké Balls. Seth peered down a staircase. Silver walls turned to tarnished bronze. He knew that was the lounge where Gonzap once ruled Team Snagem.

The room retained its original rusty decor. A battered sofa was patched up with duct tape. Glasses dotted a long, faded table before a steel desk. The gold chair swivelled. Agrev stood. He smirked, too, but maybe he was softened by his training as a Gym Leader. It didn't seem mocking but self-deprecating. He folded his arms when Seth waited expectantly.

'You expect me to mention your dad, huh? I could give ya the "wow, a traitor's son coming here" schtick, but y'know what? He did us a favour. I don't wanna live in an Orre ruled by people like Ardos. Even Gonzap didn't, not really. We all seek power... and respect... in our own ways. We get desperate. We can't see us ever getting chances like this, running a Pokémon Gym, so we turn to crime. Heh! I bet you have some decent Pokémon, though. I'd sure like to snag 'em! Just kidding. Think you can snag yourself a Skyscraper Badge?'

'That's what I was expecting you to ask, actually.'

'Alright, then! Don't you underestimate me 'cause I lost to Lyndon. That kid's as tough as our Michael! Go, Skarmory! Steelix!'

'Go! Vaporeon and Camerupt!'

Seth stepped back. The massive 30'02" Steelix filled half the room. Maybe there was more to keeping its battered appearance than nostalgia, though it appeared the ceiling was raised to make room for Steelix. Skarmory used Iron Defence, hardening its already tough steely skin. Vaporeon used Aqua Ring. Combined with the Leftovers it held, its health would be restored each turn. Camerupt concentrated its power with Focus Energy. The table was hurled aside. Steelix charged, as if burrowing through rock, at Camerupt. Drill Run knocked it over. It rolled back onto its feet. Skarmory whisked Vaporeon out with Whirlwind, removing its Aqua Ring in the process. Heracross was dragged out. Camerupt's Flamethrower scorched Steelix. Melting steel solidified on the floor. Steelix's Sturdy Ability enabled it to endure the critical hit, but it was burned. Its power was subdued when it drilled into Camerupt. The burn sapped the last of its energy. It fainted. Agrev sent out Durant. Seth debated withdrawing Heracross, but Durant probably shared Sturdy with Steelix. If Heracross hit it first, even weakly, Camerupt could easily knock it out.

'OK, Heracross, Brick Break! Camerupt, Flamethrower!'

Durant was fastest. Rock Slide tumbled roughly onto its opponents. Heracross rammed it back before Skarmory knocked it instantly unconscious with Drill Peck... but Rock Slide left Camerupt flinching. It couldn't move. Seth sent Vaporeon back out. Agrev healed Durant with a Hyper Potion, restoring its Sturdy status. Skarmory whipped up another Whirlwind. Camerupt was blown out. It was replaced with Ursaring. Seth grimaced. Agrev sure knew how to cover his obvious weaknesses.