Chapter 54: Cipher's Enemies

The sun had barely risen over Motostoke's blackened chimneys when Fayiz was back on international television. No-one had seen Rosen. Outside the sooty stadium's frontage of red bricks and glass, he assured the people of Galar they were safe.

'When we do find her, Inteleon and me will be right there.'

Fans cheered. He signed League Cards, shirts, arms and legs and took photos with early-rising fans before retreating into the stadium. As Amber watched him on TV from Nascott City, Orre was on TV in the lobby. Since Cipher's last reincarnation in Galar, they went from being ignored in forgotten Orre to an international threat. Fayiz smiled, but he was actually sick of hearing about them. He was sick of looking for Rosen... and even more sick of everyone expecting him to find her, or rather the obligation he felt to live up to those expectations. With every day that passed with no results, his anxiety skyrocketed. He felt like a failure. Like a fake. The fans genuinely loved and trusted him... but he worried he didn't deserve it. He took out his phone. On his lock screen, he stood with his team on the pitch at Wyndon Stadium. On the wallpaper few people saw was four year-old Fayiz on Leon's shoulders at Hau'oli Beach. He smiled at Abbey and Cinderace, who held his little Sobble. It was actually a paparazzi photo. Maybe that was why he saved it. They looked happy even though they didn't know it was being taken.

He hesitated before pressing call. Asking for help never got any easier. Sprightly footsteps tapped softly across the fire-print carpet. The elderly Gym Leader, Kabu, was still in good shape. Fayiz was startled when he plopped onto the red sofa beside him. He held two takeaway coffee cups.

'Here. You look exhausted.'

'Oh. Thanks. But I'm fine.'

'Tatsuko will help if you ask.'

Tatsuko, Kabu's youngest granddaughter, was Fayiz's best friend and rival on the Gym Challenge. They travelled together with another boy, Luke. It was him Fayiz called his best friend now. He and Tatsuko barely spoke.

'I've already told you... Tatsuko doesn't like me anymore.'

'I've already told you that's not true. Don't isolate yourself, Fayiz. That's exactly why your dad wouldn't endorse you.'

'I'm not. I was about to ring Luke.'

'Good.'

Kabu patted his shoulder. 'You do that. Don't burn yourself out.'

He didn't want Kabu to return and start talking about Leon again if he didn't make the call. Luke didn't answer at first. When he did, he sounded uninterested.

'Have you caught that woman yet?'

'No. I'm gonna look around the Wild Area today. She could be anywhere. I was wondering if you wanna come with me? I could do with some help, to be honest.'

'Can't. Sorry. Surely our unbeatable Champion doesn't need any help?'

'Mate, I know I've got sharp eyes, but I don't have ten pairs of them. And this is starting to get tiring. Feeling like the whole world's watching me and waiting for me to mess up. Are you sure you can't...? I hardly ever ask for help...'

'No. I have actual responsibilities. You know, school? Exams? I guess you've forgotten? You never listen.'

'I didn't forget. I just – I thought trying to catch some nut job was kind of important. And stressful. And I've just been left to do it all on my own. The police are trying but let's be real, they're not strong enough to actually fight her.'

'Well, if you run out of tissues, I guess you can use your P10,000 notes. Get a grip, Fayiz. Bye.'

Fayiz glanced back. Kabu was gone. He thought he'd left his friend's son in good hands. The lobby was empty. With no events on and the stadium only open to Gym Trainers and anyone involved in the investigation, even the receptionist was absent. No-one would know Fayiz was once again disappearing to search for Rosen alone.