Chapter 19: A Rare Catch

A fisherman stood. He angrily challenged the first person he saw, Amber. Upon finding she was strong enough to defeat him, he relaxed.

'Lookin' for rare Pokémon, are ya?'

He gestured to the turquoise water. Communal fishing rods were carefully arranged in a rack.

'If you're patient enough, you'll find somethin' good in there.'

He picked up his coat. 'Since you've scared 'em off for now, I'm out.'

Amber took his fishing rod. She only ever fished up Magikarp before, though she did earn herself P10,000 in pocket money when she was eight and caught a 4'2" one. The others took rods from the rack. After six Magikarp, Cassia gave up.

'I'm definitely not patient enough.'

Lumir followed her back across the slippery rocks to explore deeper into the cave. They agreed to meet back at the van later. Amber was content to unwind in the refreshingly cool air, tossing splashing Magikarp back into the water. Trip didn't say much. Seth left his rod, laying on the ground to set up a long exposure photo of the river. He nudged Trip. They spoke in hushed whispers.

'What's up? You look like you've seen a Haunter.'

'I don't like caves much.'

'Oh. My sister's real scared of the dark, too.'

'It's not that...'

Amber wasn't really listening. Along with a Seaking knocked out by Lurantis before it stabbed her, she fished up a piece of thick shed skin.

'Too many Zubat?'

'No!' Trip snapped, scaring away the approaching shadow to Amber's annoyance, 'Look, my mom was a heroin addict. If you want drugs in Pyrite Town, you go underground. I watched her die there.'

Now Amber felt guilty again. 'Trip, you should've said!'

'Well, I'll never get this damn challenge done if I just run away from everything that bothers me, will I? Not that I really know why I'm doing it. Well, I think I'm doing it so I can protect my grandma, but...'

Trip seemed the most confident challenger of all. It was hard to believe he felt uncertain, but maybe that was why he was so confident... because if he didn't know what he wanted, there was nothing to lose.

'Sometimes you find out along the way,' Seth said uncertainly, 'I mean, at first I thought I was just doing it to put my dad in his place... but I've already figured I want to be the best. For me. It's not even about him anymore.'

'Y'know... I think I misjudged Lumir.'

He stared blankly at the water. Something tugged at his rod, but he didn't notice.

'We actually have something in common. Dads who don't give a shit. Grandma wouldn't get it. Her dad cared.'

'Why not tell him that?' Amber suggested, 'I'm sure he's used to being misjudged.'

'What if grandma is right, though? What if he really is trying to revive Cipher and we're nice to him? He probably isn't evil. Maybe he just wants his dad's affection. That's no different to what Seth really wants. Or what I want, even... maybe I want my dad to care. Sorry. I don't usually talk about my problems.'

'Neither do I,' Seth said, 'I don't talk much at all. But we're all friends now.'

Though Amber was beginning to wonder if Trip blurted out his problems because he had so little else to say they might find interesting. Maybe that was why he was bearable to her. Because like his confidence, there was nothing to lose.