Chapter 41: The Boat Badge

The S.S. Libra Gym mission ended on the deck. Miror B. marched the challengers, except Zane and Jaxon who were with Tierno, onto a weather-beaten stage. He wasn't satisfied until they'd perfected his signature disco dance.

'That Blusix thinks I want his job... but I can't win in battles. All I want, baby, is for the people of Orre to learn to dance. Even a star like me won't live forever, oh no! My gorgeously elegant dance steps must be passed on!'

They registered at 7AM. It was past midday. The sun relentlessly beat down on the deck. Even Cassia was glad when his other judge, Trudly, led them back inside. Emerging Gym Trainers offered cold water and battles. They only accepted the water. The Pokémon who danced were exhausted, too. Zane and Jaxon escaped Tierno to be accosted again by Miror B. who, despite being the Gym's oldest Trainer at 74, was still full of energy.

The air cooled as they descended down rickety steps into the deepest basement. Nature began to reclaim the ship around a man-made oasis. Dim light glimmered on the water. In the centre, circled by palms, was a spotless battlefield. Blusix waited in a deck chair. He looked up from the P★DA illuminating his face.

'I'd welcome you to the most unbearable Gym in Orre, but you all did pretty well, didn't you?'

Cassia was first in line. She scored highest. Blusix waved to beckon her.

'I don't get many challengers. If Vana doesn't scare them away, Cail and his sewers do the job. I guess that's how my Gym became a disco...'

A genuine smile flickered as he folded his arms. 'We might not be Orre's biggest stars, but me and my Water-type Pokémon have fought for survival in this hellish desert to make ourselves stronger. So I hope you're ready for us, Challenger Cassia!'

Cassia wasn't entirely sure she was. Three of her Pokémon were weak to Water. She thought back to Emili, questioning whether she believed in her Pokémon; but since then she'd taken Hebon's advice. She told her Pokémon everything. Aerodactyl was still aggressive and stubborn. Pupitar was depressed. It hated being trapped in its stiff middle form. Electabuzz felt inadequate sometimes, since they were yet to find an Electirizer to help it evolve. She still refused to give up on the Pokémon she loved. They knew it and they wouldn't give up on her, either.

'Go, Naganadel! Aerodactyl! You can do it!'

Blusix sent out Ludicolo and Seaking. Blood was already spraying when Aerodactyl's Thunder Fang crunched Seaking. Naganadel bombarded Ludicolo with Sludge Bomb. It didn't look as mischievous as it did when it was a baby Poipole, but it still gleefully hurled poison. Seaking used Rain Dance. The refreshing rain was a relief to the sweaty challengers. Ludicolo carefully aimed Hydro Pump to blast Aerodactyl until it fell, spinning, into the water. It was down. Cassia sent out Tyrantrum. She hoped Sludge Bomb would knock Ludicolo out, but it hung on. Tyrantrum's Dragon Claw didn't take Seaking out, either. Giga Drain restored Ludicolo's health along with its Rain Dish Ability. Poison flew when Seaking's Ice Beam pierced Naganadel's stinger. Somehow, being watched by a 'crowd' of three friends was more nerve-wracking for Cassia than battling in front of thousands of strangers.

'OK, Naganadel, let's try something else on that Ludicolo! Use Toxic!'

Ludicolo was badly poisoned. Its health was fully restored when it drained more of Tyrantrum's energy. Dragon Claw finally knocked Seaking out. Blusix sent out Vaporeon.

'Naganadel! Poison Vaporeon, too!'

Ludicolo's Giga Drain sapped the last of Tyrantrum's energy before it could attack. The sharp Ice Beam Vaporeon fired at Naganadel knocked it to the floor, where it writhed in pain before passing out. Cassia sent out Blaziken and Electabuzz.