Chapter 111: Champion Michael

Start from the beginning

Michael sent out Jolteon. His first Pokémon, the Eevee he received from his father that set out with him to defeat Cipher. Zane sent out Sylveon. That was his first Pokémon, too, that Jovi gave him because he loved Michael's Jolteon so much. They gushed over the Gale of Darkness movie together, vowing they would one day be strong enough to stand where they did then.

'Keldeo, great job! Come back!'

'Moltres! Come back!'

Keldeo switched with Reuniclus. Moltres switched with Ursaring. Jolteon's Thunderbolt struck Reuniclus momentarily down. Moonblast's power rivalled that famous Thunderbolt. Jolteon rolled in a dusty ball of sizzling electricity to Michael's feet. It sprang back.

'Reuniclus! Use Reflect! Sylveon! Moonblast! I know you can do it!'

Jolteon's lightning-fast paws prepared a deep black Shadow Ball. Zane forced himself not to panic when Reuniclus was splayed, motionless, on the floor. He knew his Pokémon could do this. That was how he got this far. Maybe other people wouldn't dream of challenging Michael with a Raticate... but that was exactly why they couldn't beat him. Reuniclus struggled back up. He cheered. Sylveon focused. Moonblast dazzled Jolteon. There was a collective gasp as the audience was momentarily blinded. Zane and Sylveon shared a scowl of focus as they waited for Jolteon to rise. It didn't. He saw the beam zapping it back to its Poké Ball before he saw its yellow fur again. Ursaring lunged at Sylveon. Return pummelled it down until its dimming whimpers faded. Now Zane and his opponent shared a smile. Most champions, or aspiring champions, wouldn't use Ursaring but that was why Michael, too, was so strong. 3-3. Reuniclus protected itself and its allies with an iridescent blue Reflect.

Zane sent out Lucario. His chest tightened when he saw an Ultra Ball in Michael's hand. Lugia's melodic cry boomed through the colosseum. The floor shook under its weight. Zane couldn't stop his eyes wandering to where the dome opened to the sky, where he knew Shadow Lugia was summoned in to defend Master Greevil, only to be snagged by Michael... and now it defended his champion title. He clasped his Key Stone. Lucario let loose a roar to rival Lugia's as it Mega Evolved. It used Swords Dance. Lugia barely needed to flap its great wings to shoot a blast of wind like a hurricane at Lucario. Ursaring grabbed Reuniclus. Its strong jaws clamped its opponent's arm. Reuniclus fainted. The scoreboard flickered. 4-3. Zane's palms were so sweaty he almost dropped Keldeo's Great Ball. His final Pokémon.

Keldeo used Protect. Lucario charged at Ursaring. It was battered into unconsciousness by Close Combat. 4-4. Protect swallowed Lugia's Psychic. Michael sent out Moltres. He was down to his final Pokémon, too. Lucario leapt. Its fist crashed down. Lugia barely seemed to notice. Keldeo blasted Moltres with Scald. Moltres shot Flamethrower back at Lucario. Its legs folded. It staggered back up to fearlessly dart across the battlefield. Its fists flew until Moltres, too, was bleeding. Scald finished it off. 5-4. Only Lugia remained... but that wasn't reassuring. Keldeo dodged Aeroblast. Lucario leapt at Lugia again. It aimed for the spot its fists punctured last time. Lugia didn't react, physically, but Zane saw pain in its eyes. Keldeo fired Scald. Lugia was burned. Aeroblast whisked Lucario off its feet. It fainted before the barrage of winds finished churning its motionless body. 5-5.

'Keldeo! Use Protect!'

Psychic hit the protective barrier again. The burn sapped Lugia's energy. Scald targeted that same injury Lucario caused. The boiling water finally left Lugia visibly pained. Psychic battered Keldeo. It steeled itself to the pain and remained on its feet.

'Protect again!'

Lugia's burn wore it down further as its attack fizzled. Keldeo was in pain, too. A hoarse voice yelled its name along with Zane's. It was Jovi. Keldeo poured its energy into Scald. The critical hit sent Lugia skidding backwards. Hats and sunglasses were whisked away as its wings flailed to keep it steady. Michael only moved to raise a concerned hand. Lugia teetered. Then, with an almighty rush of wind and deafening crash, it fell. Its eyes shut. Vander nervously crept in. His face lit up with a childlike grin.

'I... I just want to say... I am beyond honoured I am the referee to confirm Lugia is unable to battle! Challenger Zane wins!'

Zane's hands flew to his mouth. His eyes met Michael's. With explosive grins, they both squealed. Michael was already running when Lugia was zapped back to the Ultra Ball he stowed in his bag. He lifted Zane off his feet as they spun in a tight hug.

'You did it!'

He set his nephew down to raise his hand with his own high over their heads.

'Let's hear it for #99! Zane Mesquite Fayed! The Orre region's new Champion!'

Tears streamed down Zane's cheeks. He was speechless. Michael cried so rarely he could only stare, feeling guilty that his eyes were dry, at his father's casket. The emerald eyes he shared with Zane were watery then.

The nurse rushed to heal Zane's Pokémon. They were released around them to raucous applause. Michael clasped his hand.

'Zane... as soon as you set out on your journey, I knew I'd be facing you here... but you've grown even stronger than I could have imagined. The unconditional love you have for your Pokémon... for all Pokémon... is something that can't be taught or drilled into you by training. Your Pokémon responded to that bottomless love to overcome our years of experience and even the bonds we've forged. I can't be disappointed that I lost. Words can't express how happy and proud I am to be handing over my title to you...'

He paused to blink back his rare tears. '...Or how grateful I am that you chose our Orre League... that you chose me... as the summit of strength you aimed to reach today.'

'Thanks... Mikey. I'm... I'm really proud... and grateful... I got to take on the greatest Trainer in the whole world... because you'll always be the best... to me.'

He sniffled. 'I wouldn't... I'd never have got this far without you to look up to. And I wouldn't want it to be anyone else.'

'We'll be headed to the Hall of Fame soon, but before that... it's not up to me to defend this title anymore.'

His eyes were on the VIP box. Parvor stood. Michael removed his microphone.

'I know you can do it, Champion Zane.'