Freedom Comes at a Cost

So basically I got a request from @yesspud on Wattpad to do a chapter about what would happen if tommy died during the duel. So yeah :)

"8,9,10,FIRE!"

The world seemed to move in slow motion. Why did he agree to this? Why would he put his life on the line for this? That's right. His friends. He would do anything for them. For his brothers. They would do anything for him.

The terms were simple, both on half a heart, ten paces, and then fire. Tommy wasn't doing this for himself. He was doing this for his country, for their freedom.

The sky was dark but clear. Tommy knew what he had to do theoment he agreed to the duel. He knew if he killed this man he wouldn't be able to live with himself. That was assuming he even had a chance at winning in the first place. So, he decided even before stepping into the path, that he would aim for the sky. He also knew that they would win their freedom one way or another. Dream was ruthless, but he was still human. He knew this was the last time he would see his friends, comrades, brothers, Tubbo... He knew this was the last time he would see any of them, and yet he didn't say goodbye. Instead, he said, "Wish me luck." What he truly needed luck for they would never know.

Like I said before, the sky was dark but clear that night. Everyone would remember this. Tommy took one last look at the people he would die for. He could hear his heart in his ears. All sounds were muffled. He was scared.

"Fire!" It was done. Everyone watched as the boy who fought for his freedom stood with one hand in the air, his bow to the sky, a smile on his face. A pain he awaited never came. He didn't feel the arrow pierce him. He only felt content. He knew he had won their freedom, even if it meant he lost his life in turn. He didn't hear the shouting, the screams. He blanked for a moment before he could hear again.

"TOMMY!" Some yelled, some cried, others stood frozen, unbelieving.

"Tommy, Tommy no. Don't- don't close your eyes, you're gonna be fine, just- just..." panicked words spew from their mouths.

"Guys."

" No don't, you're gonna be okay." They assured.

"Tommy, why did you do that. You knew you were going to lose. Why are you smiling?" Tubbo. He was crying, tears dropping off of his cheeks onto Tommy, soaking his shirt.

"What kind of question is that? Why wouldn't I be happy to save you?" The last words Tommy ever spoke. The very words no one would ever be able to forget. The words that are now, lost to the wind.

Two days later there was a funeral. A funeral truly fit for a vice president. Everyone from the SMP was there. Including the man who killed him.

"Thank you all for coming today. We are here to honor the memory of a great man, a great friend, vise president, soldier, comrade," Wilbur stopped, "The best damn little brother I could ask for." There were sniffs in the crowd. Tears were spilling. Hearts were shattered.

"Tommy was 16 when he died, a child. He didn't seem to think so, but we all knew. He died while fighting for his freedom, for our  freedom. I couldn't be prouder of anyone than I am of Tommy. Tommy innit, my little brother." He exited the stage in tears next was Tubbo.

"Tommy was my very best friend. We did anything for each other. He called me clingy and maybe I was but I'm okay with that. He was my best friend." The next person to come up many weren't happy about.

"I know I'm the last person you want to see here, but I had to say Tommy didn't die for nothing, L'manberg has earned its freedom, even though it might not be how we wanted it to be earned."

Tommy watched the whole funeral with a sad smile. After all why wouldn't he want to save his friends?