They Linger In The Dark

The day was crisp and new, just as any fall morning would be. A blond five-year-old ran through his backyard joyously, the cool air nipping at his cheeks. The child watched in wonder as the colorful leaves fell to the soft cushion of green beneath his feet.

It's interesting, isn't it? How much children can appreciate things? Things that happen every day, that most of anyone else would overlook. Nature, time, everything in between. Sometimes children can learn to appreciate things that are even somewhat beyond our understanding.

Tommy, the blond boy was one of these children. A child that could see past the steel guides of our peripheral vision. He could see them; he could hear them too. They had not met someone that acknowledged their existence in many years, they were excited.

You see, in the vast expanse of the universe; there are things that linger in the dark. They slink, and they crawl, moving unnaturally to what you and most of everyone else understand. Their bodies are non-proportional, legs and arms longer than what you might find on a daily walk. The lingerers are quite different from a human, or so we think. They are just out of arms reach; we grasp at them, frantically trying to understand what they are. They slip away without us getting so much a graze of a fingertip against whatever there is of them there.

The lingerers are here, watching, waiting, wanting. They can hear you; they can see you. Some of them know you, almost more than you know yourself. They are waiting patiently, waiting for someone who can finally see them.

They won't have to wait much longer.

But that is enough about them. Tommy runs through the openness of his backyard taking in everything around him. He is five, and adventurous. To him, his backyard could fit the entire world within it. Well because his house, his home, his family; they are his entire world.

For a five-year-old Tommy has it pretty good. He has a mom, dad, and neighbor friends. Sure, his parents might not be his biologically, but they love him just the same, he has no complaints.

He watches quietly as the clouds roll past overhead and whips his head to the side when something moves out of the corner of his eye. It's quick, black, deformed. He wonders if he really even saw anything there in the first place, but when his eyes meet the tree line of the forest that comes flush to his backyard, he sees it.

It's a deformed shape, dark and dreary. He feels something as he looks at the figure looming at the edge of his property, emotions a five-year-old can't quite place. Dread maybe? Sadness, it feels as if there is a deep abyss in the middle of his stomach. Something missing.

He stares for a while longer until the figure seems to morph almost. Now he can see a face. It's pale and porous, the skin is wrinkled and worn, leathery. Their lips are cracked and faded, while their unkempt hair is held together by a hat covering their forehead. Tommy's eyes meet theirs, and he feels as if they can see into his soul.

It feels as if there are several people there with him, circling him, watching him. Like every inch of his entire being is known.

But a five-year-old doesn't understand what is truly going on.

So, he waves to the... man? Being? He doesn't know what to consider the black ominous figure in his backyard. But he doesn't question it as he watches their cracked lips upturn to a smile, and out of the black, mangled smoke, a hand waves back at him.

Within seconds the smoke disappears, the lingerer has left, and Tommy feels the abyss in his stomach being filled back in with whatever had been removed.

Aight so basically first off I wanna say thank you guys so much for 100k ngl did not think that would ever happen, especially here on wattpad XD

And now I did say that I would put my first fic I ever wrote if I ever hit 100k but you see I am stupid and accidentally deleted it.... and like six others...

Yeah, so i still have the cover picture but like.. not the fic anymore

https://i.quotev.com/img/q/u/18/6/29/pwnvg67xe6_l.jpg

yeah so imm just exposing myself at this point, but the very first fic I ever wrote and published on the interweb was this here, de-aged Kakashi Hatake back in 2017. And so yeah let's just say when writing this fic I had no idea what grammar even was. I had run-on sentences no capitalization, no punctuation, I did not know how paragraphs work or how to write dialog. and my spelling was absolutely atrocious.

So yeah I spared ya from that and wrote this horror sleepy bois thing instead. XD also like i said this fic is no longer up and have changed my account username and stuff a couple of times on there as well. cuz ya know, the first platform I ever used, and still use is quotev for like the past seven years. So yeah.

Thanks again guys and I hope to continue updating things and just writing in general.

also if you like the sleepy bois fluffy horror stuff I highly reccomend reading these fics:

"Do Mi Ti (Why not me?)" (previsoulsy called three cryptids and a moody three year old) by NoxiousStrawberries on AO3

and

"Nothing to see here! Just a normal family in a normal house, nothing strange at all! :)" by Anonymous on AO3

I really liked both of these and just the kinda horror themed stuff in general with mcyt but like sbi stuff and hence why I am writing about it. But uh I just keep starting stuff I think I have like five different continuous au's I want to write. Some are more thought out than others. but yeah.

see ya later <3