Cabin

He slowly glanced at the door of the cabin, where you stood, with his eyes slightly widened, but other than that: Regulus remained with an unreadable and neutral body language. You noticed he had dark circles under his eyes, which were so intense it seemed he hadn't slept at all in days.

You didn't wait for Regulus to answer and closed the door of the cabin before sitting directly in front of him, the two of you remaining quiet. He followed you with his gaze and both of you held a silent eye contact that would seem intimidating and awkward to anyone who walked by, but not to you or him. The two of you were used to the pressure of a silent stare.

"I didn't say you could sit here," he finally said in a dull and tired tone.

"Well I'm going to sit here," you shrugged, crossing your legs. "Plus, your letter suggests that you want me sitting here."

"...You read it," Regulus sighed slightly, sounding both relieved and worried.

"I did." You nodded. "I've always liked your signature, you know? 'R.A.B'... it has a nice ring to it."

"You've told me that before. It was October when you did," he said silently. 

"I have told you that, indeed." You nodded again. "...Regulus?"

"Yes?"

"I- I also want your holiday wish to come true," you mumbled quickly and forced a small side smile. 

"My holiday wi- wait, really?" Regulus' eyes seemed to brighten at your words, but his overall body language remained neutral and tiresome. 

"Of course I do." You knitted your eyebrows slightly and hitched your breath, feeling your eyes get a little watery. "I miss being your friend. I miss you, idiot."

"You have no idea how relieved I am to hear that," he chuckled under his breath, "I miss you too, as you already know."

"Yeah... I also want to thank you," you said, clearing your throat. 

"What for?" Regulus asked. 

"For writing that letter," you clarified. "It helped me decide to come here today. Truth is, I'm still... angry? No, angry is not the right word... I'm just... still not entirely forgiving. I want to be, but there are some things to clear out before we can move on from this, Reggie."

"Oh," he sighed, this time more saddened by your response.

"Let me be brutally honest with you: I never thought you would be able to say such horrible things to a friend of mine, or anyone for that matter," you explained. "I couldn't stand you when you said that to Dafne, sounding just like another blood purity-crazed wizard. I can't tolerate something like that in my life. I don't want to live with you out of my life, Regulus, you're my best friend, after all. But that doesn't mean I can't."

"Was your last sentence a book quote?" Regulus asked and smiled just a little bit, that it was almost impossible to see. You knew he had taken each of your words seriously, but avoiding a reply was his way of dealing with this.

"Maybe. But that's not the point," you replied. "I'm not kidding, and I don't think either of us wants me to prove to you that I'm being serious."

Regulus gulped slightly and stood up, staying in place for a couple of seconds before taking two steps towards you. In the cabin, that meant he was literally in front of you. He had broken eye contact and was looking at his shoes, which he never had done before.

He opened his arms and without a warning, pulled you in for a hug. Regulus never did that either, ever. Whenever you had tried giving him a hug in the past, he would always act annoyed, but eventually, he'd let you hug him without resisting. But he never did it first.

 Your eyes widened and it took you a second to realize what he was doing. "You're hugging me," you mumbled, almost asking. 

"I'm hugging you," he agreed. 

You eventually gave in just like he did, stood up, and wrapped your arms around his torso, leaning your head against his upper arm and front shoulder. It felt relieving to be hugging your best friend and to have started to sort things out. Even if the time you'd spent with the Marauders and Lily made you really happy, being around Regulus was irreplaceable. The two of you just connected perfectly.

"Don't you ever say something like that again, I mean it," you warned, wiping your eyes so the tears that had formed wouldn't drip onto Regulus' shirt. 

"I'm sorry," he mumbled. 

"It's not me you should be apologizing to," you said, stepping back, but keeping your hands on his arms. 

"I know," Regulus sighed, slightly rubbing his eyes.

"You're tired, aren't you?" you asked. "You look tired. Your voice sounds tired, too."

"I... I am tired," he stuttered. "But it's nothing. I just haven't been able to sleep well lately."

"Why? Is there a reason why you're so sleep-deprived?"

Regulus shrugged, "I don't know. But I'm not sleep-deprived, I just can't rest enough."

You sat back down and patted the space beside you for Regulus. "The Hogwarts Express still has over five hours until we get to Hogsmeade station. Sleep in the meantime."

"What? No!" he shook his head and sat down next to you. 

"Stop being so stubborn," you scowled. "You look like a walking corpse, Reggie." 

"I'm not sleeping in an empty train cabin. That would be awkward for you, and subconsciously uncomfortable for me," Regulus defended.

You sighed and sneakily took your wand you kept in your pocket. Sorry for this, Reggie. But you look so sleep-deprived I'm surprised you can walk, you thought and secretly pointed the wand at him. 

Somnium, you cast the non-verbal spell at him. Regulus' head fell forward, and his hair covered his eyes. You smiled slightly and slid down the bench of the cabin, leaning sideways against the wall so Regulus would have more space to lay down.

"It should wear off in a couple of hours," you whispered, lifting his head and resting it on your lap so he'd be more comfortable. Regulus desperately needed sleep even if he would not admit it, and in the small train cabin, this was as comfortable as he could be. 

You stroke his hair and looked out the window of the cabin, watching the landscape in blurred lines. Reggie... There's still something you need to know... I don't want to tell you yet. Not when we just reconciled, you sighed. "It scares me to think about how you'll take it when I tell you about me and Sirius... But I know I'll have to tell you, but not so soon. I want to enjoy being your friend again."

---

SHORT CHAPTER ALERT. SHORT CHAPTER ALERT.

I feel so relieved to have finished this chapter, though.

Don't get me wrong, I love writing. But man, this one took so much time for the size of it. Pretty sure this is the shortest chapter I've ever written. My brain just decided to cut all inspiration and creativity for an emotional and we could say sad chapter.

In this chapter, I wanted to convey how (y/n) misses Regulus so much, but she puts him in his place. Because no matter how much she wants him back in her life, she won't if he's not willing to do efforts to change the whole 'blood purity-crazed wizard' attitude. Hopefully, you saw that written.

By the way. I have given at least two opportunities to use the Sirius pun. I KNOW IT'S NOT THE RIGHT MOMENT TO USE IT, BUT FWHSISJFWOSKA. Yeah. That's it...

Anyhow: Back at Hogwarts!!! To finish the famous project that started it all!!! With your and Regulus' friendship on the way to get better... I wonder if that'll affect you and Sirius' relationship????? I WON'T SAY. BECAUSE I AM AN EVIL AUTHOR WHO LOVES TO LEAVE THE READERS WITH THESE TYPES OF DOUBTS. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

- Camille ᓚᘏᗢ