Overtime

HEY HEY HEY LOVELIES 

I have returned from yet another break lol  

I'm a senior now, so updates will be a lot slower and future hiatus will be longer, but as always, I'm dedicated to finishing The Project, especially now that it's entered its final Post-Hogwarts storyline. 

Thank you for being patient with me, and enjoy the return <3

☆☆☆

The world outside of the shielding walls of Hogwarts was frightening. The peak of the war was looming over the wizarding world. News of heinous crimes appeared on the headlines of every edition of the Daily Prophet and lists of missing names and casualties were broadcasted on the Wizarding Wireless Network without fail every day.

"Should I turn it off, miss (y/n)?" Damian; your assistant, asked as he paced nervously towards the enchanted gramophone across your office. "Listening to such a gloomy channel every day... It'll affect your morale."

"Don't touch it," you ordered, side-eyeing him from the files you were reading behind your desk. "Please put the paperwork on the cabinet and take your leave, I'm sure you're busy too."

He glanced back at the gramophone with hesitation before abiding, setting the pile of papers in a neat stack. "It's my job to look after these things for you, miss (y/n). You're the one who keeps me busy."

You chuckled and waved him off, waiting until he had closed the door to drop your smile. Damian was right, listening to this channel on the Wizarding Wireless Network was detrimental to your state of mind, but you couldn't help it. You paid attention to every one of those names with the greatest focus, fearing that you would hear one you recognized, but also dreading the anxiety of not being aware if you didn't have the channel on.

It had been going on for months, ever since you had graduated from Hogwarts in June when the Marauders and you had gone your different ways. They had joined the mysterious Order of the Phoenix without delay, while you had entered the Wizengamot quickly through the recommendation of Barty Crouch Sr.

The people you cared about were on the frontlines of the war, battling the dark lord and his followers with no end in sight. Completely opposite to them, you were sitting behind the lavish desk of your large office, having secured a position in the Wizengamot working directly under the head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.

The list of names broadcasted by the WWN had ended, and a large amount of built-up tension dissolved. Their names hadn't been announced, you could go on with your day with one less thing to worry about. Curse this wretched war, you sighed, signing off some legal documents before neatly compiling them and standing up. 

You left your office with the clattering of your shoes resonating in the mumbling environment of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. The second level of the Ministry of Magic was the busiest at times like this; housing not only the Wizengamot Administration Services but also the Improper Use of Magic Office and the Auror Headquarters.

Barty Crouch Sr.'s bureau was located at the end of the long corridor where your office found itself, and the large chestnut doors opened on command the second you stepped close enough to them. "To what do I owe this visit, (y/n) (l/n)?" the head of the department asked as he turned his chair around to face you.

"Good evening, Mr. Crouch." You nodded your head forward in respect as you paced towards his desk. "I've come to deliver the documents you asked my division to cover after I've signed them on your behalf."