Chapter 95: The Skyscraper Badge

Start from the beginning

Vaporeon's Scald soaked Skarmory. The water rolled off. Durant tore open Vaporeon's skin in return with X-Scissor. Skarmory's Drill Peck left it wincing with its several wounds, but it was spurred on rather than discouraged. Scald blasted Skarmory past Agrev until it hit the wall. The boiling water burned it. It was zapped back to its Ultra Ball before it hit the floor. Ursaring's Brick Break fractured Durant's armour. Agrev sent out his final Pokémon, Bisharp. Durant darted to knock Vaporeon out. Bisharp slammed into Ursaring, sending fur flying in all directions, with Iron Head. Ursaring's strong arms crashed down in return. Brick Break was doubly effective against Bisharp. It fainted. Seth sent out Camerupt. Durant unleashed another Rock Slide, hoping to cause its opponents to flinch again. Ursaring did. Camerupt did not. Durant's shriek of pain was abruptly cut off as it was knocked almost instantly unconscious by Flamethrower.

'Argh! Your Pokémon are decent, alright. I hate to admit it, but you've beaten me thoroughly!'

He took a scratched case, coloured like a Poké Ball, from a shelf on his desk. Inside was a jingling collection of Badges.

'Here's your Skyscraper Badge. No long Justy-esque speech from me. I'll just tell you it represents Orre's progress, so I guess it's like a few of your Badges. All about good defeating evil and never giving up.'

Seth fixed it to his camera strap. 'Thanks.'

'Now go beat that infuriatingly strong dad of yours.'

Agrev grinned. His handshake was genuinely warm. Whether it was because he felt more powerful or he'd gained their respect, the ex-Team Snagem members who appeared to be sneering mockingly smiled warmly, too. His friends congratulated him in the lobby.

'Challenger Cassia!'

Trip and Camden were enjoying the air conditioning, too. They didn't mind waiting, sitting against the wall with Amber, while Cassia battled. She checked maps of the Gym before setting out, but instead of using that knowledge to skirt around the Gym Trainers, she sought them out. Her Pokémon were exhausted by the time they reached Agrev. They knew, like she did, they needed all the experience they could get if they wanted to beat their friends to reach Michael... let alone Michael himself.

'So you're Alolan and Galarian, huh? What made you come to this accursed place?'

'I wanted a challenge... and I have three Rock-type Pokémon, so this battle will be a challenge, too.'

'I like your attitude! Let's battle! Go, Durant! Skarmory!'

'Let's go! Tyrantrum and Blaziken!'

Rock Slide crashed onto them. Blaziken used Double Team. Its evasiveness rose. Skarmory used Iron Defence. Tyrantrum promptly Roared it out. Bisharp replaced it. Blaziken's Speed Boost loosened its limbs to boost its speed. It cloaked itself in flames and charged at Durant. It skidded back. Sturdy kept it conscious. Rock Slide missed Blaziken. Following its movements, Tyrantrum dodged. Bisharp ran at Tyrantrum, ramming it with Iron Head, but it was barely done when Tyrantrum charged recklessly back at Durant. Dragon Claw knocked it out. Blaziken's speed rose further each turn. Agrev sent out Steelix. Blaziken leapt. It sailed through the air before landing with a stomach-churning clatter on Bisharp. Agrev nervously waited for it to rise. It didn't. Tyrantrum slashed at Steelix, but the ineffective Dragon Claw didn't even scratch its thick armour. Iron Head brutally flung Tyrantrum onto the creaking table. It fainted.

Cassia sent out Naganadel. Agrev sent out Skarmory. Blaziken immediately charged at Skarmory with Flare Blitz. Though the attack was super effective, Skarmory's armour protected it. It remained steady. Naganadel blasted Steelix with Flamethrower. Its head whacked the ceiling as it writhed in pain before clumsily attempting to shake off the flames and flinging Agrev's desk in the process. It crashed into the wall. Skarmory darted at Blaziken. Red feathers flew as Drill Peck ripped holes in its skin. It teetered. Cassia said nothing, but kept her gaze focused and determined. Blaziken understood. Her Pokémon knew now she believed in them. It clung to consciousness, only for Steelix to crash onto it with Body Press. Bones cracked. Cassia winced. Blaziken was utterly crushed under Steelix's weight.