Chapter 42: How do you Mend a Broken Heart?

Song for this chapter:Somebody you loved by Lewis Capaldi

Somebody you loved by Lewis Capaldi

Ygritte's POV

I woke up to the coldness of the surroundings grasping my skin as my blanket was dragged to my stomach. But it was nothing compared to the stabbing pain in my chest. Like there was a sharp knife embedded to it, not moving but the pain was unbearable. Ridiculously enough, I don't want to pull it out.

If numbing my heart will be the way for my survival then so be it.

I sat on my bed and pulled the blanket on my chest as I leaned on the headboard. My thoughts instantly flew out of the zone. My eyes drapped to the clock as it struck at exactly one in the morning.

The coldness of the wind made me feel lethargic to move as I squirmed under my blanket and my pillows. I squinted my tired swollen eyes to look around. The night skies seemed to be inviting, the beauty and calmness it proudly flaunts was enough to lift the heaviness in my heart.

With a sigh I pushed my body out of the bed and grabbed my black coat - perfect for a very chilly morning. My hands ran to feel the softness of the fur as I heaved out a deep sigh.

I hugged my cloak even more as I stepped out into the balcony. My eyes roamed around the place taking pleasure in the breathtaking view infront of me until my eyes fell to the Canopy. It looked inviting as it offers a much more beautiful view that only I could enjoy - alone. Without a thought I smiled ruefully as I grabbed unto the railings. I reached for the edge and with one grunt I hauled myself up. I balanced myself as I held unto the roof - sitting carefully not trying to fall for my stupidity.

I leaned back to the roof as I closed my eyes, satisfied at the warmness the black cloak had provided. I can feel my heart tugged lighter as I took the beautiful scenery before me.

The twinkling lights are mesmerizing calming the depths of my soul as the moon shone brightly and it was enough to light up the whole plains. The crickets sang their songs as the night creatures created noises - silently telling me, I'm not alone. I can see the Mountain troll not far from here - sleeping. I smiled at the creature sleeping without a care in the world.

Up here in solitude no one will use me. Up here, I can think things through and do everything without being judged.

Just as the tears prompted to fell again I felt a certain movement from down below. My breathing stopped as my heart ragged faster. I froze the moment he effortlessly hauled himself up and sat beside me.

I clenched my fists - stopping myself from pushing him away. I just want some peace and quiet and yet here he is - always there to ruin everything. I'd built strong high walls and he would produce a hammer. I'd lit myself up and he would look for some water.

He remained silent as minutes passed by and I fell into a decision of not acknowledging his presence. I closed my eyes and turned to the other side pretending that he's not here. I really don't know what to say nor do.