Chapter 1 : Totally Tricked!

Ygritte's POV

Ygritte's POV

The looming orange hues painted the once starry skies. The moon seemed to have been ashamed as it hid from the white lush of gases. The flying luminescence jolted flew from their hidden paradise as I leaped at the bushes.

"Run! Run! They're hiding beneath the bushes!"

As soon as I heard it from someone, adrenaline pushed me to run faster. I ran deeper into the woods of Crossbane.

I spotted a large tree hole not far from where I stood. I dashed, letting my legs drag me faster as I could. My breathing is uneven and the sweats that kept on dripping like falls had me slumping to the ground and catch my breath.

My eyes squinted as I took the whole scenery before me.

No matter how long I've been living in these woods, I could never get used to these humongous Kilian trees. The large tree hole is enough for two persons already.

I can't help but remain mesmerized by the beauty and mysteriousness of this place. Crossbane is placed in the middle of the Plains of Lorendale. It is a wide acre filled with lustrous wildflowers that painted the ground, the grass is all in vivid green as the deer leaped freely throughout the land.

Large Kilian trees act as our wall from the outside world. These thick, old century trees protected us from the law and prying eyes.

Just by then, a rustling of leaves had taken me back to reality. My heart pounded and for a moment I even held my breath as I scooted down deeper into the hole.

"Damn! I lost her," said a voice and I thought my ears rose. I put my guard up and let my eyes roam my surroundings.

I mustn't trust anybody. I'm a thief, a freeman who doesn't live with the thing called rules. We live according to our master's command. We steal for them and we would have clothes, food, shelter, and freedom in exchange. Just the life for me.

I started this job a few years ago when a certain werewolf ranger of the camp found me unconscious in the middle of the woods of Crossbane. He brought me here where Sora the fae, the one managing the east camp helped me start a new life.

I went out from that dreaded tree hole, squinching down to the ground. I ran past several trees trying to be sneaky as I tiptoed my way in between. All thieves were sent to find Sora's ring, after all this is part of our training as a skilled larcenist.

Where is that damn thing anyway?

I scowled as my eyebrows furrowed in annoyance while thinking logically where the ring could be hidden when I spotted a shining circular band decorated with blue, green, and red crystals just a few meters away.

"Hi Ritte," said Yoshaka as he emerged from the trees.

I was taken aback but later regretted it when he suddenly charges a strong kick on my right side.