4. mother's wrath

Eden Salvatore

Each night was colder than the other as winter dawned upon England, covering the whole Cotswold with snow.

The cold had never bothered me, it was her eyes that had been bugging me for the past days. The brown representing the earthquake that could bring any mountains to its knees. There was mystery lying beneath the tint of gold and I couldn't help getting annoyed.

I sat on the couch beside the fireplace with a cup of coffee in my hand and book in another while Thane was answering all the emails I received from my family saying congratulations, the emails that I could not care less about.

My country house stood tall among the white snow at the very far end of town, away from all living things. The only sounds I heard for the past three days were birds chirping, the wind at nights and Thane's voice which I could tolerate, so overall it was quite peaceful here.

At least until this morning when mother had found out about my absence on my so called honeymoon.

Which led me to learn one thing about my wife today, the woman was not a good secret keeper.

" Your mother is FaceTiming you again, sir. " Thane panicked from the other end of the long couch.

Taking a deep breath, I put my book away and gestured him to hand me the laptop. I was going to get it from the queen herself and father was going to laugh so hard that all of England would hear him.

Mother's face flashed across the big screen, her icy ocean eyes were colder than the winter snow. I tore my eyes away from the screen, avoiding her gaze until she cleared her throat.

Staring at her eyes was like staring at my own except hers were filled with burning anger. Mother was so pissed, she looked like a volcano that was about to explode. She had her hair tied into a ponytail, and there was a glass of water beside her hand. I knew the woman had come prepared and I was going to be buried in her wrath.

" Are you ready, peasant? " father chuckled, rubbing his wife's shoulders.

I sighed, dropping my gaze to the floor again.

" Are you even my son? I taught you better than this Eden William Salvatore. " mother hissed, I flinched backward.

I narrowed my eyes at Thane as he mouthed she did not just use your full name. I sighed before turning my gaze back to the screen of my laptop.

" You can not just leave your wife alone in the most romantic city to ever exist and especially not on your bloody honeymoon. Are you trying to give me a bloody stroke, Eden? "

Venom and rage laced in her voice. I had never seen her this pissed at me. I was after all her favorite child or at least until three days ago.

" The poor princess called me sobbing because she woke up alone on the plane with a couple of black unlimited credit cards and a note saying to have a fun honeymoon. It's not a honeymoon without the husband, you fucking brat. "

" Listen to me carefully. You better get the hell out of that house of yours right now and board on a plane to fucking France and finish your honeymoon or I will come down to Cotswold and ship your jerk face to Europe myself. "

" Because prince or not, I'm still your fucking mother and you do as I say. " with one last glare, the screen went blank.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion as her last words started to digest inside my head. Mother had called me anything but a prince, her go to word was usually brat.

" What did she just call me, Thane? "

" Do you not know that you are the new prince, your highness? " he murmured in confusion.

" Did you just address me as your highness? "

" I have been doing it ever since your wedding, your highness. " he said, furrowing his eyebrow in confusion.

Fuck me for not paying attention to whatever the hell he had been saying to me for the last few days.

I was no expert in weddings but I was sure as hell that one couldn't suddenly become a royalty after getting married, unless my wife was a fucking princess which she better be not.

" Who am I married to? " I sounded stupid but I didn't care, it was not a marriage of my choice. I had the rights to not know who my wife was.

" Princess Adalina Grey Hastings, the crowned princess of England. "

Fuck. That was even worse than a princess. She just had to be the bloody crowned one, the heir to the whole country. I was so fucking screwed. I would never be able to help her look after a whole country.

I hated humans for god's sake.

" You have five minutes to file for my divorce. "

Thane's eyes widened as his jaw dropped liked I had just told him to jump off the bridge, in fact he definitely wished I had asked him to do that instead.

" There was not a single divorce traced all the way back through your bloodline, your highness. I believe it is not a solution for Salvatore's family. You know this better than I do. " he cleared his throat, scratching the back of his neck.

" I always knew I was born to make history. Do it now. I'm in no shape to be her king. " I grunted lowly under my breath.

" Mrs Salvatore will murder me and then you for causing such scandal. You can't divorce a crowned princess, definitely not after three days of marriage, my prince. "

" Stop that. " I sighed.

" Stop what, your highness? "

" Address me as a royalty one more time and I will chop your tongue off and feed it to my dog. " I said calmly, shutting my eyes.

Thane cocked an eyebrow at me curiously before asking. " You don't have a dog, your highness. "

" Then the wild dogs outside will do just fine. " I stared at him blankly as he gulped before hurried outside the room to make a call.

Sighing out loud, I leaned my head against the head rest as I massaged my temples. My life had always been easy, it was completely under my control until now. As thoughts clouded my head, my eyes began to doze away and before I knew it I was lost in daze.

I was in my own world, again. I liked it here better than anywhere else. I was a single soul, I was never meant to be with someone else other than myself. I wasn't supposed to be here, married and stuck in this situation.

Losing the hospital would be such a loss but being married to her was even worse. I couldn't do that to her and her country.

I was no fucking Prince Charming.

➺ ♕ ↞

hey, it's been too long.