39. break my soul

Adalina Salvatore

-ᴛʀɪɢɢᴇʀ ᴡᴀʀɴɪɴɢ-

I woke up crying in the middle of the night. All emotions hit me at once and the painful realities I pushed away came rushing back before my eyes.

Tears streamed down my cheeks and I felt my heart crumbling into pieces as I thought of everything I didn't want to think about. I covered my mouth with one hand, muffling the pathetic sobs. Afraid I would wake him up. I didn't want him to see me like this.

Eden stirred behind my back as I tried to control my body from shaking under his hold. Slowly and carefully, I unwrapped his arms around my stomach and slipped out of his grip. I picked up the shirt he discarded on the floor of the library and pulled it over my head.

The castle was empty like every other nights I had spent walking in the dark. I hugged my arms around my body, letting the scent of his cologne calmed me down.

I entered the piano room with a bottle of brandy that I had stolen from his study and a single blade in my hand. I sat on the white stool, staring down at the keys. My fingers brushed along the instrument and I cringed back at the coldness on the tip of my fingers.

Gulping down the brandy, I let it burnt down the back of my throat. Blood dripped out of the inside of wrist as I cut through my vein until pain suffocated my whole being.

I listened to the music beneath my fingers as I played away, letting my blood drown my sorrow and the white piano turned red and I was numb in my spot.

It was pathetic to say the least but for a moment I just wanted to be free, I wanted to feel something other than the cold in my chest where my trust was smashed, my worth was gone and all there was was emptiness.

My life wasn't even my own. I was destructed, ripped from myself, from safety and sanity. No one was trying to kill me. How could they? I was already dead. A shell of a human pretending to be alive.

I died fifteen years ago with the souls I took with me and nobody noticed.

I didn't blame them. I had it coming. I deserved this. It was my fault that they betrayed me. I made them do it. Even my best friend was tired of me so much so he wanted me dead.

" Adalina. " my body stiffened, my fingers trembled above the piano until I stopped playing altogether at the sound of his voice and I just snapped out of it.

I turned my face away after awhile. He walked into the room and took the half empty bottle out of my hand. I didn't want him to look at me like that, with pity in his eyes. It felt like a knife being stabbed into my chest. Reality smacked me in the face right then and there. I looked at him again for a second and I just knew.

I was only his burden, a duty he had no choice but to deal with. I was really ruining everyone's lives.

" What the fuck are you doing? " he stalked forward me, his jaw clenched so hard he could cut through my heart with it.

He was beside me in a second. The half empty bottle dropped to the ground and shattered into a million pieces as I felt my head spinning. He grabbed my bloodied hand and threw the blade across the room. His fingers tightened around wrist as he put pressure on it and held it above my head.

He grabbed me around the waist, resting his palm on my hip as he pulled me closer to him and picked me off the stool. He was gentle, so gentle. I could almost feel his fingers trembling under my skin like he was afraid he would literally break me apart.

" You left me. " he let out a heavy breath, placing his cheek on the top of my head as I laid on his shoulder while he walked out of the room.

It was horrifying. The way he possessed me completely, the way I belonged to him. He was my safe place. My whole world was breaking apart and with one touch he managed to bring me back.