38. a tragic story

Adalina Salvatore

The castle didn't crumble into pieces, let alone burnt to ashes. But, I admired my husband's handy work anyways. Burnt wallpaper tore apart on the ruined stone wall as I walked through the corridor from the front gate to the drawing room where my mother was supposedly waiting for me.

I turned my head back to look at Thane when we reached the opened double door, motioning him to wait outside except he took a piece out of Eden's book and looked back at me like I was mad. I sighed and he followed me into the room anyway. Loyal soldier he was.

My mother glanced up from the thick file she was holding in her hands as I walked up to her. A smile graced her lips and she abruptly got up to embrace me. I closed my eyes, taking in the sweet scent of English tea and fresh jasmine in her perfume. It was then that I realized how much I needed someone to trust in this family. I missed my mother.

" You disappeared in the middle of the fire that night. I was so worried. We couldn't contact you until this morning. Where have you been, Adalina? " she pulled back, now glaring at me.

I shuddered under her angry glare. She crossed her arms over her chest. " The castle was on fire? " I gasped. My mother raised an eyebrow at me.

" I was homesick. So, the prince took me home after the ball. " I said, looking away.

Thane snickered silently behind me before he covered it up with a cough behind his knuckles which totally went unnoticed by my mother. Sneaky little shit.

Her gaze softened for a moment as she led me to the velvet couch in the middle of the room. " You could have called and told us that you left. Where were you manners, princess? " she accused, pouring me a cup of tea.

Non-existence then. He fucked my brain out.

" I was exhausted, your highness. " I cleared my throat as the explicit moments came flashing back before my eyes.

She hummed in response, bringing her cup up to her lips. Mother looked at me through her curious gaze, trailing her eyes all over my face until the side of her lips curled up with pure amusement. I looked away quickly and gulped down the liquid from hell, the damn tea almost burned down my whole throat.

" You're glowing. Does he really make you happy? "

" I've never been happier. " I said with a small smile. His aggressive way with words charmed me first and that dick was an absolute ten out of ten.

I missed that insufferable bastard already.

" You deserve that after everything we put you through. " she reached out and caressed my face gently. I leaned into my mother's touch, trying to remember the last time we had a conversation like this one.

I talked way too soon. Because the sweet moment ended shortly after the queen's assistant walked into the room and informed us that the board meeting was ready whenever we were. I sighed under my breath, debating if I should just leave.

I wanted to go home.

But, like a blood hound she was my mother sensed my thoughts and grabbed my hand, giving it a hard squeeze. " You are their future queen. Don't take shit from those pretentious bastards. " she hissed into my ears.

I looked at her for awhile, trying to process the fact that she just cursed in front of me for the first time in my life. " Mother, I don't want to play tea party with my possible murderers. "

" My son in law was right. You really are a pain the butt. " she huffed. " Suck it up. I've been doing this since you were nothing. How do you think I'm still their queen? "