18. too close

Adalina Salvatore

He demanded me to stop bothering him a second after he indirectly confessed that he would follow me everywhere in the world. I felt my stomach churched painfully. It was a good pain, a pretty fucking good one.

I slithered into bed with a ghost smile on my face. He told me knocked it out and stopped smiling like an idiot. " You look stupid. " he said, looking at me dead in the face.

" Whatever you say, my prince. " I gave him another smile. He stared at me blankly.

Shaking his head, he ignored me and started looking through his thick stack of paperworks. I guessed his holiday ended right then.

I watched him for awhile like the creep I was. He was focused, he read it like it was the last paperwork to exist. I had never seen someone read a file so intensely concentrated, like the world wasn't there. His eyebrows arched as his face scrunched up and he pinched the bridge of his nose once in awhile. I could tell he was annoyed. I knew he was, he only touched his face when he was annoyed. I wondered what was the file about. Maybe it was an important patient.

It never failed to amaze me to see him be so interested in something. The guy barely gave a flying fuck about anything at all.

I felt my consciousness drifting away slowly as the blue of his eyes blurred into strings of waves and suddenly I was drowning again. Or maybe I was asleep but he was the last thing on my mind, that if he had ever left at all.

Eden Salvatore was a pretty vision in my head. From his nonexistent smile to those little grunts that he usually let out when he was irritated by everything and anything. I liked him a lot more than I planned to and he barely tolerated me. It was tragic.

I wanted to break him. I wanted take every single pieces of Eden Salvatore apart just to see how such man worked, to figure him out. Because I simply couldn't tell what was going on with him.

The ice prince was not an opened book you could just read anytime. He was more of a poem, the one which no one but only the author herself could understand the true meaning behind each sentences.

He was a unique one and I was incredibly fascinated.

I jolted out of the deepest end of my mind by the sound stomping footsteps. I rose straight up from the bed, clutching my chest in panic. The last time I woke up like this was fifteen years ago with a dozen corpses outside my balcony so my first instinct was to look out. There was no one outside and I sighed in relief. I tore my gaze away from the balcony to the man standing beside Eden.

Thane looked confused at my sudden action as he handed my husband a new cup of coffee. Eden however looked furious as he glared daggers into his bodyguard head.

" I told you she was fucking sleeping. " he grunted lowly. I looked at the clock by the bedside table and it was already two am in the morning.

" I apologize, your highness. " Thane bowed his head. I gave him a small smile and he left the room before Eden could pull out his gun.

" You're up all night. " I whispered.

He looked at me from the rim of his mug, replying quietly. " I'm busy. Go back to sleep. "

I stared at him. He sighed before starting to look through the papers again. I never took my eyes off of him.

" Stop looking at me like that. " he sighed, leaning his back against the couch.

He rested his head on the throw pillow facing the ceiling. His legs were cramped under the small table as he sat directly on the cold marble floor. Hospital files and paperworks plastered across the surface of the table alongside the empty cups of coffee. He hadn't slept all night. I believed I heard him ruffling through the papers, grunting under his breath from time to time and then there were the bugs under his eyes, the tired sighs escaping from the back of his throat without him noticing.