Blank Space

Maybe I know, somewhere
Deep in my soul
That love never lasts
And we've got to find other ways
To make it alone
But keep a straight face

And I've always lived like this
Keeping a comfortable, distance
And up until now
I had sworn to myself that I'm content
With loneliness

- The Only Exception, Paramore

I stared at the child who stared at me, her pigtails swinging from her previous movement when Doyoung told me to get in the car

I stared at the child who stared at me, her pigtails swinging from her previous movement when Doyoung told me to get in the car. I blinked at her, wondering who she was but knew better than to ask Doyoung so I found myself going to the front seat as Doyoung strapped her to her car seat. I looked at her silently from the front and she stared back, her big eyes curious.

"Guess where we're going today," Doyoung said to me but I was having a staring competition with the child behind me. "Hello? Is something wrong?"

"U-Uh... no. Where?" I asked, the young girl throwing her hands in the air, demanding that we go soon or the amusement park will close. "The amusement park?"

"Sunny gave you the answer," Doyoung said and the young girl began to sing to herself. "Sunny, this is Auntie Simon. Introduce yourself, please."

"My name is Sunny and I am 5 years old. I am the daughter of Mr. Moon Tae-il. I live in N-City, Seoul, block 43, house number 222/34. I study in Shinee Elementary school," she recited. "If I am lost, please take me to the nearest police station and call—"

"Okay, okay. That's enough. You're not lost."

"She must get lost a lot?" I asked Doyoung who chuckled, driving the car out of the entrance of my apartment.

"My sister babysits her a lot so I guess her energy rubbed off on the child. You know Tae-il, right? He's a few years your senior. He was in SM, too."

"Moon Tae-il? The one who started the Innovative and Entrepreneur club that Jung Jaehyun later took over?" I asked, Doyoung nodding. "I've heard of him and seen him around, but I've never actually talked to him before."

"He's an awkward one. He just went through a divorce so I guess things are a bit rocky at home for the little one. I wanted to give him some time to rest." Doyoung said, Sunny snoozing. "She woke up early today because she was too excited. Tae-il told me that she demanded to get changed at 5 am. Look at her."

I found myself smiling as the child sniffed in her sleep, Doyoung speeding down the high way. I coughed, my eyebrows furrowing when I too, felt a wave of exhaustion. It was weird to feel my body deteriorate and I tried to hide it, leaning backwards just to close my eyes.

"Rest. I'll tell you when we reach there," Doyoung told me and it wasn't long before I tried to calm my breathing, Doyoung putting on the radio to drown us in music. As I closed my eyes, a part of me couldn't help but worry and I shifted in my seat when I felt a heavy material on my body.