Instinct (One-Shot, 5800 words)

"Why did you do that?" Ladybug bemoans, her hands press against the torn leather of Chat's left shoulder, trying to ignore the uncomfortable warmth spreading under her fingers.

The fight was won, but the bear-like Akuma had done its damage outside the abilities of the 'Miraculous Ladybug' cure-all. The second Ladybug had her yo-yo back in her hand, she whisked Chat off to a graveled rooftop and laid him out.

"We got her, didn't we?" Chat smiles, shrugging his unscathed shoulder, "You know I'm always ready to take one for the team." He winces at the pain but tries to hide it from her, failing to do so.

The corner of her mouth turns down as similar memories come to mind. "I know." She responds disapprovingly.

"I can feel it healing already, you know. You don't have to hold me together like that," he says truthfully, the throbbing he had felt upon the initial gash was much less intense now.

"It might help." She insists, readjusting herself so she's kneeling next to him, but she does notice less blood dripping from the wound.

Chat reaches his right hand towards hers, encircling her wrist and easing her off of him. He kisses the back of her hand before tugging on her arm invitingly.

She resists until she's satisfied with the scab forming under her other hand. They didn't have much time left until they de-transform, so Ladybug complies, laying down next to Chat under the crook of his right arm. Her head rests on his good shoulder while her one hand stays on his healing wound.

They breathe together, ignoring the sounds of the resumed traffic below, focusing on the birds and the sky above them.

"Miraculous Healing won't save you from all injuries, you know." She cautions in a low voice, her face tilts up towards his.

He can tell that all joking has left her tone, he knows he owes her a serious response, "I know." He swears softly, wrapping his right arm tighter around her shoulders. "I... the Akuma was heading for you, it was just instinct for me. You would have ended up worse than this- if you wanna talk about 'injuries that Miraculous Healing won't fix'." He says grimly, letting his mind take him to that imagined reality where he didn't intervene. He squeezes his eyes shut.

"I can handle myself. Who's to say what would have happened." She reminds him.

Chat sighs, kissing the top of her head, "Like I said, instinct." He banishes the dark alternate realities from his mind as best he can.

Ladybug struggles with similar images, more tragic than today's outcome. "I can't lose you, instinct or not." She practically whispers, just loud enough for Chat to hear. "I was hoping you'd be more careful once we started dating."

He smiles slightly sadistically, sitting both of them up, "I would have done anything to protect you when we were just friends, M'lady; now that we're dating..." he kisses her forehead, "heaven nor hell could stop me from saving you."

Ladybug trembles internally from the thought, but can also relate to the core of the sentiment.

Their Miraculous beep, making Ladybug smile half-heartedly, "Well, there's the one thing that can stop you." She kisses his cheek before sliding out from under his arm.

Chat sighs dramatically, "I guess." She stands and holds out her hand to help him to his feet, which he accepts. When he rises, he towers over her, leaving no space between them. "But, even in your civilian form, I will always find you, don't worry."

She tilts her head back and shakes her head, "How would you know who I am?" She scrunches her nose in mocking disbelief.

He dips down to capture her lips in his for a brief knee-buckling kiss, before he whispers "Instinct" into the warm space between them. He then vaults away with a wink.